Replacing liner - need some advice

Jun 13, 2009
I am in the middle of replacing the liner on my 18 ft round, 52" high pool. The pool is 5 years old, the liner had a hole this winter, drained, and deformed, so I had to pull it out. The base was in good shape and I decided not to rebuild the cove assuming the new liner would fit just the way old one did. The cove was about 2-4" high around the pool but not pronounced, much more gradual to the middle.

I have filled about 6" of water yesterday - it was around 80 degrees and under direct sun, and it is not fitting well. Its a J hook.

The seam between the side and the base is about 2-3" up the side of the wall from the top of my small cove. In all of the instructional videos I see online the seam between the base and the walls of the liner falls around the top of the cove when they are installing it.

My first thought is that they shipped me a smaller liner by mistake, despite the fact that the box said 52". If I were to measure from the hook to the seam at the base, shoudl that measure 52" on a liner? How can I confirm that the liner is the correct size?

My second thought was that I didn't cove enough and I should go back and re-cove?

I'm happy to post more information and thanks for any advice.

I'm not quite sure on a j hook but I just finished installing my beaded liner and it was slightly short all around. But after it baked in the sun as it was filling the edge seam fell right at the top of the cove. They are designed slightly small so they stretch into place. That is my understanding from everything I've read.

Is there a lot of wrinkling or is it pulling away from the wall n not stay on? Can you post pictures of the liner so we can see if there are any pressing issue that would cause any significant damage if you were to continue filling? I have a j-hook liner myself with the foam cove. I can't remember if the seam laid on the cover or not. I do remember I had an over lap liner that the seam road up the wall in one area. Pics help a lot though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.