How to paint aluminum coping

Mar 18, 2008
I have a 9 year old in ground pool with white aluminum coping that is in need of painting. There are multiple areas of worn paint from the solid safety cover.

Any advise, products, technique would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would love to see a good answer. I have tried to paint unpainted outdoor aluminum furniture and to repaint white aluminum storm doors, all with unsatisfactory results. The only stuff I found that is made to paint aluminum is XO (they have an aluminum primer--then the usual XO topcoat). It works--but it seems to attract dirt that won't come off, and I have to repaint every year to keep it decent. Of course, you could send the pieces off to be powder coated. It might be cheaper than a new pool.

4 years ago we replaced the liner on our 1981 Spartan inground. The aluminum coping was in need ot refinishing as well. Since the original liner was being pulled, we knew we didn't have to worry about cover it up. We got aluminum pool spray paint that has a sandy finish to it - it was purchased from our liner installer guy. We sanded all the peeled and worn areas, cleaned it all with soap and water, used autobody putty to fill in dents and knicks, then used an old license plate as a c=barrier between the coping and the brick pavers behind it. I bought attachments for the spray cans that created a more comfortable trigger holder thing at Lowes or Home Depot and sprayed the entire perimeter in about a day and change with breaks. It came out great. After 4 years though, our solid safety cover has worn through the paint where it touches and I have to touch it up. This time will be much harder though, as I don't want the overspray to hit the liner. If anyone has any pointers on that let me know! I'd really like to use a brushable paint instead of spray, as it really only needs specific touch ups but I haven't found anything yet. If you're interested I can post a photo of the spray can - we ended up using only half a case of paint.

Hi Kirsten :wave: welcome to TFP!! Nice to see you over here! :-D (please note: I didn't call you Kristen this time :lol: )

Y'all have the right idea :goodjob: Clean the coping before applying the spray paint (soap and water is good but TriSodiumPhosphate is better - just try not to slop too much TSP into the pool - have a bucket of warm water with TSP - as per box instructions - sponged on and then have another bucket with clean water to sponge off the residue, I usually do 5' sections if I'm working alone or have someone come behind me to wipe the residue - 2 people makes it go quite quickly :cool:

Once the coping has dried, use shields or tape to mask off where you are spraying the paint - DO NOT spraypaint in winds over ~ 5 mph :hammer: the wind will put the paint where you don't want it :wink:

I certainly agree with using Bondo or similar to fix any dents or dings, but then you have to wait the allotted time and sand and reclean the area before applying the paint.

As for the straps of the safety cover rubbing the paint off every year - the manufacturers recommend placing pads on the coping, under the straps, to prevent this :idea:

Do it once, do it right and protect your work from the ^&%^(*^* cover! :cool: :lol:

rs.shadow0000 said:
Y'all accept the appropriate abstraction :goodjob: Apple-pie the arresting afore applying the aerosol acrylic (soap and baptize is acceptable but TriSodiumPhosphate is bigger - just try not to dash too abundant TSP into the basin - accept a brazier of balmy baptize with TSP - as per box instructions - sponged on and again accept addition brazier with apple-pie baptize to blot off the residue,

Welcome to TFP!!

I've just gotta say :scratch:

Thank you for translating my post for those who speak your language :) By any chance did you write the copy for Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 Pure Castile Soap? It doesn't matter to me :cool: As long as the message gets out to the masses in a way they can understand, all is good :party:

p.s. You might want to call your Dr. and re-up the lithium prescription :wink: :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.