Buried AGP Pool Build

violet-mermaid

Mar 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Hello everyone,

I wanted to post a new thread here to document the process of our AGP/in the ground pool build starting in a week or two (weather permitting). Our pool, equipment, and test kit has all been ordered and is currently being shipped! The pool is going into the ground on a slight slope, so it should be a bit interesting...

I've been reading and reading through the forum and Pool School (amazing!), but there is a question I have that I didn't seem to find the answer to- but maybe I missed it:

Once the pool is up and water is filled, is it safe to swim in the pool before getting things correctly balanced? The pool will be filled with plain old tap water to start.

Can't wait to start sharing pics once things get moving!

Pool
Liner
(Anyone have this pool or liner? Would love to see pics!)

Re: New Pool Build- Getting Started!

Once you fill with new water, you may get away with a quick dip on day 1, but that will change really fast with body oils, sweat, etc. If you don't have your kit yet by the time the water is full, you can add stabilizer (CYA). You don't need the test kit for that on an initial fill. Use the Poolmath Calculator to figure out how much to add (sock method). In your area, I'd say go for a CYA of 40. Then add about 1 quart of regular bleach to get your FC to about 3 ppm. If you still don't have your test kit by the next day, add about 1 - 1/2 quarts each evening.

Beyond that, you really want to test accurately and adjust the chemicals as soon as possible to ensure the water remains sanitary and algae-free. Once the stabilizer is dissolved, maintain FC with regular bleach to around 5. Adjust pH to about 7.6.

Those are the big ones at first. After you get those adjusted, feel free to post a full set of post-fill results for us and we'll help you some more.

Yes, I already have a binder with Pool School info ready to go! :)

My installer is going to start on my pool one week from today, so I will definitely have my test kit before then. Do I just fill up the pool and test or run the pump for a bit then test before adding chemicals?

Let the pump run for about 30 minutes. New water won't have any stabilizer (CYA), so go ahead and add some as soon as it's full. In your location as hot as it's getting, I would recommend an initial CYA of 40.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Then add about 1 quart of regular bleach to get your FC to about 3 ppm. If you still don't have your test kit by the next day, add about 1 - 1/2 quarts each evening.

Beyond that, you really want to test accurately and adjust the chemicals as soon as possible to ensure the water remains sanitary and algae-free. Once the stabilizer is dissolved, maintain FC with regular bleach to around 5. Adjust pH to about 7.6.

It's just water! :)
70 ppm of CYA in a sock or knee high, or two, squeeze them to help it dissolve faster
Add salt and brush to dissolve
Dose FC to 3 ppm with bleach on day one
Dose FC to 6 ppm with bleach on day two
Dose FC to 8 ppm with bleach on day three
Turn on the SWG on day 3 and keep FC at 5-6, never let it drop below 4. Ever.
Test PH daily for a while until you understand it, keep it between 7.2 and 7.8

Thank you! So where does 'swim' fall into this timeline? :swim:

And guess what happened yesterday?
20160608_172942-e1465480482827.jpg

20160608_174737-e1465480602925.jpg

Will be doing some shopping this weekend for chemicals and such...

Counting down the hours until Monday! Realllllly hoping it doesn't rain, although it is supposed to :(

A couple more questions (sorry!)-

1-When I do the pool calculator, it says my pool is 8,300 gallons, and the website I ordered it from says 6,800 gallons. Which number should I use for the calculator?
2-Where do I find pool salt and how much do I know how to add? Not sure I understand the 'salt' area on the calculator, it says 0...
3- For bleach- is there a specific kind I need to buy?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

1. For now, use what your pool information came with. Later as you add chemicals you will see if the adjustments are true based on that volume.
2. Pool salt can be obtained just about anywhere really. Water softener salt without additives is good as well. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags. Pool salt is also fine, though in many places it is more expensive. Some people found 40lb bags of pool salt at their local WalMart. It was also cheaper than the solar salt at Home Depot and Lowes.

As for how much, check your manufacturer's recommendation for the salt level that you need. Usually, SWG pools need a residual salt level of 3000 ppm, give or take, but this can vary according to the manufacturer.Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

3. Bleach - "regular" (generic is fine). NO splashless or scented bleaches. It should have a percentage on the bottle (i.e. 6%, 8.25%, 10%)

Hope that helps.

So after all of the rain delays, the pool install is under way!!! They guys started yesterday, and here is what we have so far...

20160621_123809-e1466607551138.jpg

20160621_132405-e1466607856738.jpg

20160621_141407-e1466607628734.jpg

20160621_142315-e1466607663412.jpg

and my two littles in on the action...

20160621_154807-e1466607697409.jpg

20160621_135922-e1466607761204.jpg

More pics to come as things progress... Hope to be swimming by the weekend! :paddle:

This has been a very slow going process. Pool finally got put up yesterday, but the pool guys won't be back until tomorrow to set up the pump. They told me to fill the pool halfway then shut off the water. They still have to do the skimmer and jet tomorrow. I noticed some small bugs and debris on the top of the water- can I go ahead and add some liquid chlorine or cya now before the pump is hooked up, and if so how much? If my water turns green I am going to be livid...

You're area still chlorinates the water too. The RO treatment is happening after that. Your water and ours, supplied by the NTMWD, is disinfected with chloramines and retains 2-3 ppm after leaving the water treatment plant.

Still needing the caps on the top, pump and filter hooked up, and backfill. Sighs... 2-3 day project going on 2-3 weeks! I do really like the color of the pool with the water in it...

jones-p3.jpg

jones-p4.jpg

jones-p2.jpg

jones-p1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It took too long and it's still not done lol. Between the rain delays and the pool guys rescheduling half of the time, it's been about 3 weeks now. However, probably only 3 days of full work...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.