My Hayward Pool Vac Ultra only turns left

socalsharky

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2009
I have a Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, which has been in use for the past 4 years, now entering our fifth swim season. I live in Southern California, so this vac has been in use for at least 5 hours a day for over 4 years. It's been a GREAT vacuum for nearly all of this time.

Recently, I noticed that it will only make left hand turns, and therefore, the hose gets pretty coiled up, and it has trouble covering the whole pool, especially the area to the right of the vacuum inlet port in the pool wall. I have ordered the maintenance kit, which includes the wings, flaps and feet, but it seems like something more serious may be involved. The vac is cleaned, no debris inside, etc. Has anyone else had this problem, and could diagnose the problem? Is there a replacement part that controls the steering? The Hayward literature states that the vac is supposed to make alternating left and right turns.

thanks

I have the Hayward Aquabug, & it is similar in that it makes 3 right turns, goes straight for about 10 feet, then makes 3 left turns, etc. Mine was doing the same exact thing. From outward appearances it looked clean. I took it apart down to the little gears that do the steering, & I had a pine needle jammed in between a couple of the teeth of the little gears. removed that, & now all is well. Hope that helps. You may have a stripped gear also. That would do the same thing.

Ultra--

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and opened mine up. It's much simpler than I thought it would be. Only a total of 10 or so screws. All of the gears seemed to be in good working order, and I didn't notice any debris. I put it all back together, and guess what? It works fine now!! Maybe only temporarily, but we'll see. If not, I'll just replace the gears. I don't think they're too expensive on ebay, and it will be a simple fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.