Silver Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
Brook Park MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
this season when i opened the pool we had a swamp! Ive been filtering and shocking pool for almost three weeks now. Ive been vacuuming at least 2 times per day and checking chlorine levels a minimum of 3 times per day. my numbers have been pretty consistent over this time. they are as follows:
PH 7.5
FC - been keeping it at 14 has fallen as low as 10
CC - between .5 and 1
CH 200
TA 130
CYA - 35
View attachment 49391View attachment 49391
pool has been at this point now for 5 days see picture doesn't see to get any better. I have put on a DIY slime filter you can see it in the picture (used idea from sight which turned completely brown within 24 hrs. I have removed and washed the filter a few times. I also added a skimmer sock all to no avail. I have also been back washed my filter 5 time in this process about every-other day, till water runs clear which only takes a couple of minutes.

now this is my question when i vacuum i get a lot of glass particles in the bottom of my pool. i was vacuuming to the pool filter but now i have been using a pool blaster that's when i noticed a lot of glass particles in the vacuum filter about 3/4 cup per day. We have a Sand filter - Swim pro Model # SW256T - 250 lb High rate sand filter ( used glass not sand)Effective Filtration Area 3.22 ft2 Filtration Rate 25 GPM/ft not sure how old. Could i have a filter issue of is it a patience issue any advice or suggestions would be great. :confused:

this season when i opened the pool we had a swamp! Ive been filtering and shocking pool for almost three weeks now. Ive been vacuuming at least 2 times per day and checking chlorine levels a minimum of 3 times per day. my numbers have been pretty consistent over this time. they are as follows:
PH 7.5
FC - been keeping it at 14 has fallen as low as 10
CC - between .5 and 1
CH 200
TA 130
CYA - 35
View attachment 49391View attachment 49391
pool has been at this point now for 5 days see picture doesn't see to get any better. I have put on a DIY slime filter you can see it in the picture (used idea from sight which turned completely brown within 24 hrs. I have removed and washed the filter a few times. I also added a skimmer sock all to no avail. I have also been back washed my filter 5 time in this process about every-other day, till water runs clear which only takes a couple of minutes.

now this is my question when i vacuum i get a lot of glass particles in the bottom of my pool. i was vacuuming to the pool filter but now i have been using a pool blaster that's when i noticed a lot of glass particles in the vacuum filter about 3/4 cup per day. We have a Sand filter - Swim pro Model # SW256T - 250 lb High rate sand filter ( used glass not sand)Effective Filtration Area 3.22 ft2 Filtration Rate 25 GPM/ft not sure how old. Could i have a filter issue of is it a patience issue any advice or suggestions would be great. :confused:
If you're using glass instead of sand, and you're finding glass in the pool, you're either a) not rinsing after backwashing or b) have a problem with the filter innards.

The filter should stop stuff that's too small to see, so something as big as a grain of sand should not pass through.

As an aside, your attachments don't display for some reason.

Huh??? Your Filter, Swim pro Model #SW256T calls for Silica - not sand. Is that what your seeing as 'glass' on the bottom? My best guess is that your filter needs to be emptied/cleaned and new silica replaced. With new Silica - you should notice a difference, I hope..

Huh??? Your Filter, Swim pro Model #SW256T calls for Silica - not sand. Is that what your seeing as 'glass' on the bottom? My best guess is that your filter needs to be emptied/cleaned and new silica replaced. With new Silica - you should notice a difference, I hope..
Sand filters call for #20 silica sand. There is also alternative sand filter media that uses glass beads, which is what Gail/Dave is using. Usually when there is a problem with filter media being released into the pool it is either that the filter media was not rinsed properly after backwashing or damage to the filter itself, such as broken laterals.

Gail/Dave if you are rinsing about a minute after backwashing and still releasing glass into the pool, you will need to remove the glass and check the stand pipe and laterals for cracks.

this is the picture of the pool
IMG_2637_zpsbdvq4jxy.jpg Photo by gwdw1 | Photobucket

what is rinse after back washing never heard of that.

Also we have had the pool / equipment since sept of last year. we got it used. the guy at the pool store said we could use glass in that filter instead of sand and it would do a better job of filtering. so i pd a boatload of money to use the glass in the filter, the glass was put in September of last year,

Does your filter have a multiport valve or a push/pull valve?

If you have a push/pull valve you will not be able to rinse and some dirt may flow back into the pool after backwashing.

If you have a mulitport valve there is a setting called rinse on the dial.

Look at the top of your filter. One of the positions should be labeled "rinse". You do this after you backwash.

ALWAYS have the pump off when moving the handle. ALWAYS turn the handle the same direction. This keeps the gasket under it from binding and tearing.

Kim:cat:

I went out and looked at the top of the valve and it has a rinse on it also i will start turning the lever in on direction from now on, I'm also going to do some reading on how to operate the filter. :salut:thanks. Also because of the age of the pool filter my husband is going to check to see if there are any broken laterals. with all this being said, will this filter issue cause unclear water and should i continue with shock levels of chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try backwashing until the water is clear, then rinse for about 1 minute or until water is clear if it still looks dirty in the sight glass. Once you put it back into filter mode, hold a sock over the return to see if any of the glass gets blown into the sock. If it does, then you will need to check the laterals and stand pipe. If it does not, keep the FC elevated and see it the water clears. You can run an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to continue to slam the pool. If you fail the overnight test, continue to slam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.