Fixing to start slam

I used to use a turkey baster to put my chlorine into the holes AND had a floater with a puck in it floating inside and it still grew :( BUT that was my first pool that the Pool $tore helped me ruin. You might have better luck BUT you are going to need to take them out this time to make sure. After that I would find a way to see if you can kit from happening again (if in fact that is your problem). We will all be watching to see what you find.

Kim:cat:

I blasted my stairs with a whole jug of bleach thru a hose..had a late work day so when I checked my FC it was 15...I added 150oz of bleach and brushed and brushed...I also went to the pool store and got a big bottle of the taylor 0871 and big bottle to check my cya.....I ran my cya test 3 times and im right at 50-55....

I thought since I had a big bottle, I thought I would do the test at 10ml mark and get a more accurate...it took 90 drops to go clear..so my FC IS AT 45?? I was at 15 FC when I got home, so the pool calculator said to raise to 25 it takes 150oz of bleach...holy smokes

I thought since I had a big bottle, I thought I would do the test at 10ml mark and get a more accurate...it took 90 drops to go clear..so my FC IS AT 45?? I was at 15 FC when I got home, so the pool calculator said to raise to 25 it takes 150oz of bleach...holy smokes

Did you mean that you tested using a 25 mL sample? At 25 mL, that would be an FC of 18 ppm. Using the 10 mL sample is sufficient for nearly all purposes you'd ever need.

Yes at the 25ml mark..my bad.....

- - - Updated - - -

thank you...I will be taking stairs out to clean...the holes on the bottom of stairs I swooshed some water into them, and I could see all that poof of clouds...im sure its a mess inside..lol....and yes the water looks great considering the circumstances

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well after stiring up water underneath the stairs last evening, I get home and the algae was worse today...seems like im going backwards...my FC when I left work this morning was 25, and at 4pm it was 16....Just added bleach and brushed...im almost positive the stairs are the culprit...they will be coming out

well I removed stairs and think I found the culprit....and there was more inside, but I couldn't get pics since I basically was doing it by myself....I scrubbed and scrubbed, then vacuumed...backwashed for a good 5 minutes...then rinsed sand filter....my fc lowered to 20 during all this, and man the algae was going crazy after I disturbed it from the stairs...I must have cleaned pool for well over an hour....now I just blasted it with 150oz bleach...will let stairs dry, then start scrubbing them tomorrow evening...how long before putting them back in?

Yea it was a mess in there....and went ahead and added extra bleach to raise my fc to 30, even tho the chart tells me 25...if its killing it, should I start seeing those little white clouds at the bottom of the pool? like when shock works?

If you want to speed up the "trapping" of the dead algae in the filter you can add DE to your filter.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Just make sure you can babysit it for a while to watch for a big pressure increase. Each filter likes different amounts. One only liked 2 Tablespoons and mine likes 2.5 cups so........add it 1/4 cup at a time until you get 1 pound of pressure increase then check back in a little while to see what it is doing.

I THINK you might find dead algae for the next couple of days. Just vacuum it up and out! I would think about taking the stairs out at least 2 times a year to keep this from happening again as well as adding the chlorine with a tube or turkey baster right in the holes.

Thanks kim...Ill def look into adding DE to my sand filter...Ill babysit while im home in the evenings to watch that pressure...My current normal PSI is always right around 20psi, so ill watch carefully..Im very happy I took out the stairs, but now a long evening of scrubbing..lol

Better idea---50/50 bleach water-------spray all over (make sure to wear old clothes), use a hard spraying hose to rinse it off. Maybe do it 2 or 3 times to make sure you get it all.

Was there any water in the buckets with the cement bags in them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.