Chapter one, my salt water pool

Jun 4, 2016
Arlington, TX
Hi guys! Newbie here!

I'll start from the beginning and my purpose of this initial post is so I can get the ball rolling then hopefully my next post will give the useful information you guys need for some real help!

We bought our house last year in September, that was the last time we were able to see the bottom of the pool. I felt as if there was only so long we could keep contacting the previous owners for help. They kept telling us YouTube would be our best friend however I just can't seem to learn much from videos. So we have been back and forth from a cloudy blue to a swampy green from about October to now. We had to replace our Polaris about 4 months ago.
c928dda20a42f341e3bb69430123c6f4.jpg
98321a691aa0b3f9d6ab2ea51f309905.jpg

What you see in the picture is as clean as we have been able to get it with all of our trips to Leslie's. I read in the vocabulary that phosfree is useless, Leslie's keeps telling us to use it. We haven't.. We bought some perfect weekly but it seems to not work either. We clean the filters every couple of months and usually Polaris is cleaned about every few days. Debris doesn't usually get into the pool. We have been buying HTH shock from Walmart and clarifier (which hasn't been working either) we bought salt from Walmart as well which Leslie's recommended we put a little over 230 pounds of salt in the pool and we've done that. After 4IBS of shock, 230IBS salting, 19oz of muratic acid, clarifier, AND perfect weekly all in the order that Leslie's told us it only got to the cloudy blue you see above. We swam in it and the water was so salty even after running the filter for almost 24 hours. Before you couldn't taste the salt if water for near your mouth.

I'm so sorry I may be all over the place but I am very confused and we really want to get this down and do it ourselves before we have to break down and hire someone. I know we need test strips and stuff, can I get Amazon links for the correct ones if anyone would be so kind? I'm looking on Amazon at them but I don't know which one is the one. Also any recommendations on shock treatment, clarifier, etc? Brand names? It has rained recently as well, we had to drain the pool some because it rained so much. I live in Texas after all.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out!! If anyone has a salt water pool, I would love to hear your monthly care routine and maybe what it was like during the early stages of learning a routine.

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)

Welcome to TFP!

You can put your pool info in your signature so it show up in every post as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

You can definitely do better than that on your own with TFP and skip the pool store altogether.

Order a TF-100 from wwwtftestkitsnet. Get the XL option so we can SLAM the pool to get it crystal clear.

Here is how we kill algae,
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Start reading here in Pool School
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

We can help you more with your saltwater pool after we get it cleared up.

Print these for later,
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

That test kit is the correct one for salt water pools, right? I am just making sure before I buy!

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.