DE Filter Low flow

Jun 4, 2016
Chicago/IL
Hello, TFP -

I have been searching the forums and see several threads related to this topic, but looking for specific guidance. I converted to a DE filter this spring and have been on the TFPC method for 3+ years. Water is very clear but having some trouble with the circulation. I will see low intake/return but the psi reading is low (<5psi). If I "bump" the filter and turn the pump back on the flow will return and the psi will remain the same (<5psi). Eventually though the poor circulation returns. What causes this? It's frustrating as a few times i a have gone out to the pool to find that there is no circulation. I saw some other posts mention air intake but I only see a small bubble in the pump reservoir and no bubbles in the return jet. Perhaps the baseline psi of <5 is off to begin with??

Welcome to TFP!

My guess is that you have an algae bloom starting. Nothing clogs up a filter faster than algae.

Post some test results and tell us how you test your water.

How does your water look?

Add your pool info to your signature so we know a little more about what we are helping with, more here Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Signature fixed...my apologies :D
Test results seem good to me (below). I could understand an algae bloom causing a clog; however, I was under the impression that the clog would cause the psi to rise. Isn't that the indicator that i should backwash the filter?

FC - 5.2
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 110
CH - 220
CYA - 45
Copper - .82ppm (tested at pool store last weekend)

Yes, I was paying more attention to the flow slowing, then increasing after bump then slowing again. You have a 2 speed pump, is the 5 psi at low speed? Filter pressure should be monitored at high speed. When the pressure at high speed rises 25% over clean pressure the filter should be backwashed.

Where is all that copper coming from? Typical sources are copper based algaecide, copper based mineral sanitizers or copper heat exchangers eroding with low PH, 7.0, for sustained periods. Any stains or green water?

It's getting dirty -- bumping improves things.

Low pressure generally points to a suction side air leak or a clogged impeller.

Look inside the skimmer well while it's running. Is it full of stuff? Empty it. Do you see a vortex? The problem could be as simple as low water level or the skimmer weir not moving freely. You don't want to see a vortex. Next look through the pump strainer lid while it's running. Any air bubbles present? A single one trapped at the top is normal. White water is not. That points to an URL="http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/151-suction-side-air-leaks"]air leak.[/URL] Lastly, shut things down and check the pump strainer to be sure it isn't full of debris. Empty it. If you've been vacuuming and have pine needles, they can slide through the basket mesh and stick it the impeller. Try to poke your fingers up in there and feel for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.