Adding Calcium Chloride vs Water Hardner

May 30, 2015
Union City, Tn
First of all let me thank all of you!! This is my 4th year of having a pool and the first three were horrific. I couldn't keep the water right and I spent more time trying to fix the water than I did swimming in it. This year however, is different. I purchased a Taylor test kit like many of you suggested and followed the TFP method and wah-lah.. trouble free pool! What a joy it is to have a pool that's trouble free!! My present readings:

FC 3.6
CC .2
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 90

According to pool math, I need to add 23.6 lbs. of calcium chloride. I purchased a 50# of Downflake Xtra calcium chloride at CO-OP this morning and noticed that it's not 100% pure. It also has water, potassium chloride and sodium chloride in it and it says it's 83-87% pure. My questions is, will these other ingredients be harmful in any way? My grandsons swim in the pool daily and inevitably swallow some water. Also, when I dissolve this in a 5 gal bucket, how much should I add at one time? 5#, 10# or 23#? Thanks again guys!

Those other ingredients aren't toxic. You know Sodium Chloride is salt. Potassium Chloride is what's in "No-salt" that people with high blood pressure use on their french fries.

As for adding it, you're asking the wrong guy. I'm always trying to lower my CH number. You could just come visit me and bring a barrel and I'll send you home with enough water to boost your CH in a hurry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.