Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Setting CYA levels on a new fill.

1. Back To Top    #1

Setting CYA levels on a new fill.

Where would you folks set your CYA level in a newly filled pool, and what product do you suggest I use? I am using BBB so i won't be getting any CYA from pucks. Thanks!
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Setting CYA levels on a new fill.

Because you have a sand filter, and will have routine water replacement because of it, I would target 50, and it will slowly drop over the summer. Keep it between 30-50 and target your FC accordingly.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA is sold under various names, most commonly stabilizer, conditioner, or cyanuric acid. It is sold in the pool departments of many big box stores, and by pool stores.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the Question and answers... I had the same questions...I added 3lbs of 99% conditioner and still can't get a reading with my tests.

=[
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by inbamanow
    Thanks for the Question and answers... I had the same questions...I added 3lbs of 99% conditioner and still can't get a reading with my tests.

=[
    Does it say Cyanuric Acid on the active ingredients label?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

...I added 3lbs of 99% conditioner and still can't get a reading with my tests.[
    Remember that it takes 5-7 days for the CYA to completely dissolve. If you have to backwash during that time period you'll be washing out some of the undissolved CYA.
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it does say Cyanuric Acid on the active ingredients label...

and oh yeah, 5-7 days... why don't I know anything. =] Backwashed before i dosed with the 3lbs and water is crystally clear and ready for stabilization for sanitation and then I leave for vacation.
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

8. Back To Top    #8

=[
    The detection level of most kits is 30 ppm CYA, unless you have the 20 ppm kit. According to the Pool Calculator, if your pool's size is more than 12,000 gal, 3 Lbs of CYA will bring your CYA level under 30, which means you won't be able to detect it.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.