Algaecide and Scale "Inhibiters"

Feb 14, 2016
McKinney. TX
Swtiched from chlorine tabs to SWG in late March. While using the tab feeder and getting water tested at the pool company (I now use a Taylor K-2006 kit), their "computer" output always suggested adding 2 oz of Biogard Algaecide Preventer and a quart of Biogard Scale Inhibiter per month. Now that I have a SWG, the recommendations are about the same, but using their SaltScapes line for salt pools. Looking at the material safety sheets, there doesn't seem to be much, if any, difference in the chemical makeup of the products.

So, my fill water CH varies throughout the summer, but averages about 150 ppm. Pool test measurements indicate CH between 250-300 ppm. The questions are: is it necessary to add various "inhibiters or preventatives" throughout the summer...and, if so, is there really any difference between chems for chlorine and SWG pools??

It's only necessary if you feel the need to help the store owner make their boat payment. Following our methods as long as you keep your pool within our recomended guidelines these products are unnecessary.

I suggest not having them test the water anymore. It's just aggravation as they try to sell stuff.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Those "recommendations" are nothing but boilerplate suggestions the computer spits out that has nothing to do with your test results. One of the positives of computerized testing is that it can be set to print out whatever the store owner wants and it looks like it was all personalized to your specific pool rather than the blanket suggestion it is. By positive I of course mean for the pool store that uses them.

So, my fill water CH varies throughout the summer, but averages about 150 ppm. Pool test measurements indicate CH between 250-300 ppm. The questions are: is it necessary to add various "inhibiters or preventatives" throughout the summer...and, if so, is there really any difference between chems for chlorine and SWG pools??

NO! Not necessary to add inhibitors or preventatives if your maintaining the proper Free Chlorine/CYA ratio levels. A pool that uses a SWCG is a chlorine maintained pool. Basically salt is Sodium Chloride, chloride is where the chlorine comes from. The SWCG produces chlorine gas. That's pretty much that is all to it.

Thanks all. Sorta what I thought. Also always thought it was strange that every time I went in, I "needed" to raise my TA (with their baking soda) and, 30 minutes later, add acid to lower my pH. Guess they were trying to sell me chemicals at both ends.....

I think even most pool store owners wouldn't quite go as far as to pull that particular scam on purpose. More likely the employees just read what the computer tells them. Kind of like PoolMath, if you put in that you want your TA at 120 and your pH at 7.2 it will tell you to add baking soda and acid, even if your pool levels are perfectly fine. They are both just programs telling you how to get from A to B.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.