White Mold

I'm new to this forum and trying to negotiate it is a little difficult for me. I have an inground pool that we opened up about a week ago. We converted from Bacquacil to the BBB method middle of last summer. When we opened the pool last week, everything was beautiful, water crystal clear. Cleaned out the little bit of debri that was in the pool and checked the chemistry. PH was very, very low, so we added the borax to bring it up. PH now at 7.8. Chlorine at 3.0

I noticed this morning, little white tissue particles all over the top of the pool - obviously from what I've read - it's white mold. How do I get rid of this?? Shock the pool with chlorine?

Please help....

poolmom said:
I noticed this morning, little white tissue particles all over the top of the pool - obviously from what I've read - it's white mold. How do I get rid of this?? Shock the pool with chlorine?

Welcome to TFP!

I'd bet it's more likely pollen this time of year. Floating on top is most likely pollen. Run the pump a little more so the skimmer can get it.

don't know my CYA level. I have one of those big fancy kits to check, but not sure how to do it. I pretty sure it's not pollen, because it's pretty skummy looking and we generally wait till all the pollens and free floating things are down from the trees. How much should I shock it with? I buy the big 1-1/2 gallon ultra bleach jugs from walmart

OK - I have the TF-100 test kit. I mixed the pool water with the solution, waited the 30 seconds, mixed it again and pured it in the tube with the black dot all the way to the top of the tube and I could still see the black dot, water a little cloudy, but I could still see the dot, so I guess I don't have any CYA? Now what.

You should add CYA/stabilizer/conditioner to bring your CYA level up to between 30 and 50. I suggest adding enough to raise it to 30 to start, give it a week and then measure the level and see if it needs any further adjustments.

With the CYA level very low, as it is now, you will lose nearly all of your chlorine each day to sunlight. That leaves an opening for things to grow in the water. It also makes it very difficult to shock the pool. Raise the CYA level and then see where you are.

One way to tell if this is pollen or some kind of organic issue like mold/algae, especially since you have no CYA - is do an overnight test.

Using the FAS-DPD test, tonight add your nightly chlorine, and then test 30 minutes after, (this should be done after sunset) and record the FC/CC test results. Then tomorrow morning, before the sun hits the pool, test again. Then compare the results. IF you lose more than 1ppm of FC, OR your CC is higher than .5, then yes, you need to shock. With zero CYA your shock level would safely be 10 FC.

If your FC holds, you don't need to shock, just keep an eye on your FC levels while you are raising the CYA and increase it according to the CYA chart.

Edit: BTW, White mold is very rare except in Baq pools, since you converted and the water was clear when you opened, and since you have chlorine present it shouldn't be an issue for you, I doubt it's really white mold... End edit.

Hope this helps. :goodjob:

I went to the pool calculator and for CYA at 30, it says to add 108oz by weight or 113 oz by volume of stabilizer. I have several 4 pound containers of Pool Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid-100%), so looks like I need to add 2 containers of the stabilizer to raise the CYA correct?

I will also follow Mod Squad's advise and use the FAS-DPD test.

Should I add the CYA before I run the FAS-DPD test?

How much chlorine do I need to add to shock the pool?

poolmom said:
I went to the pool calculator and for CYA at 30, it says to add 108oz by weight or 113 oz by volume of stabilizer. I have several 4 pound containers of Pool Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid-100%), so looks like I need to add 2 containers of the stabilizer to raise the CYA correct?

I will also follow Mod Squad's advise and use the FAS-DPD test.

Should I add the CYA before I run the FAS-DPD test?

How much chlorine do I need to add to shock the pool?

Yes, add both cannisters but you'll have to do it in batches. Go ahead and do it now, it has no bearing on the FAS-DPD test. Put 1/2 container at a time in an old sock and set it in the skimmer, careful not to block the flow of water, and make sure you leave the pump running while the CYA dissolves. When it is all completely gone from the sock, keep adding it until the 2 cannisters are empty. Keep the pump running for 24 hours after. Recheck the CYA level in about 5 days, it might not fully register on tests before then. But after 24 hours, assume you have as much as you have added and keep the FC up according to the chart. So tomorrow it will be like 20 and the next day 30....

I honestly would wait to shock the pool until you confirm an overnight FC loss. In the morning if you determine you need to shock, use the Pool Calculator to calculate your dosage. Your morning's FC result is your "now" value and you enter your goal in the "target" value - in your case for now your goal is 10, once the 2 cannisters of CYA have been completely added your target is going to be 12. Hope that makes sense. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.