High Chlorine Demand - SLAMing since May 22nd

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I have been SLAMing my pool since May 22nd. I did have a two day period where my filter was off. I was waiting for a new clamp. To maintain the SLAM, I have had to add at least 2 gallons of bleach each day. Three of the days, I had to add 4 gallons. I seem to be losing about 5 ppm each day, but I've had three days where I lost 10 ppm. At one point, I thought I was actually done SLAMing (1.5ppm overnight loss). That must have been a fluke, and I'm glad that I continued SLAMing. Is there a reason that I'm losing so much chlorine? How long does a SLAM typically take? My water looks crystal clear, but I assume there is some underlying algae.

This is my current water chemistry: 45 CYA, 7.6 PH, 260 CH, 60 TA

I have a SWG, but I have it turned off for now.

I had this problem as well. Did you pull your ladder and give it a good scrub down? I used a power washer on mine, especially underneath. You might try pulling the ladder and seeing how your chlorine does overnight without. I've heard that if that doesn't work, sometimes something gets in behind the pool light as well. My issue was the ladder, so I didn't have to deal with that. Keep it up. It is so worth it. This is my thread from just this season getting the pool up and running: Lot of work to do...

In fact, that thread tracks my whole SLAM from start to finish, which by the way, started towards the middle of April and finished around May 6th or 7th.

I had this problem as well. Did you pull your ladder and give it a good scrub down? I used a power washer on mine, especially underneath. You might try pulling the ladder and seeing how your chlorine does overnight without. I've heard that if that doesn't work, sometimes something gets in behind the pool light as well. My issue was the ladder, so I didn't have to deal with that. Keep it up. It is so worth it. This is my thread from just this season getting the pool up and running: Lot of work to do...

In fact, that thread tracks my whole SLAM from start to finish, which by the way, started towards the middle of April and finished around May 6th or 7th.

I actually don't have a pool ladder, but I'm curious about the pool light. When I first opened the pool, it looked like there was algae around it. I wonder if there is still some there, and maybe that's what's using the chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

I think your CYA may be to low for your SWG, mine is 70 and I average 1.5 -2ppm chlorine a day

10000 gallon with spa plaster with blue quartz.
E-Command 4 with remote
Goldline Aquarite
11/2hp filter pump
11/2hp waterfall pump
Hayward gas heater
Hayward fibre optic lighting

I don't have the SWG on yet. That's why I have the CYA so low. I thought it would be easier to SLAM, since I wouldn't require as much chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't mention a FC or CC numbers. Need these levels, please post as

FC
CC
pH
CYA

FC - 19-20 (I lose 5-10ppm per day)
CC - 0 (was at 0.5 but now none detected)
pH - 7.6
CYA - 45

I actually don't have a pool ladder, but I'm curious about the pool light. When I first opened the pool, it looked like there was algae around it. I wonder if there is still some there, and maybe that's what's using the chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

One other note, I found a lot of debris hiding in the nooks and crannies of my skimmer. Get in there with a brush and make sure you are getting around the opening and the like. Inside the skimmer area as well. It doesn't take much to really chomp up chlorine, given what little I took off my ladder.

Hi

That does seem like high chlorine demand for "crystal clear" water. I'd check that light as well but I'll tell you, after getting my water clear, I found algae in about every crack and crevice in the pool you could imagine. Like inside the skimmer box hiding behind a lip in the frame......behind skimmer box plates and behind light plates (frames?). I broke down and put the kids to work with a plastic kitchen brush on all those areas that couldn't get to so easily with a pool brush on a pole.

I've also seem threads here where someone took a light out to find a TON of algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.