Intex Pool Question

Jun 3, 2016
Florida
This is my first post and I have an Intex Pool question. My sons birthday is in a few weeks and my in-laws have said they can help us pay for an above ground pool. We really wanted a pool when buying a new house but just couldn't find a house in our price range with one. We would like to upgrade in the future to something like a Sharkline Matrix but cannot afford that right now. I think our overall budget is around $350-400. That pretty much includes the Ultra Frame 15' or 16' which are about the same price from Target and Academy. The 15' only has a 1000gph pump but the 16' has 1500gph. Is it worth it to get the larger pool with larger pump or will it not matter because I'll have to replace both pretty quickly? I'm leaning more towards the 15' because we do not have much space in our backyard because we have a concrete patio pad as well as a brick paver area taking up a good amount of space. My wife would prefer a saltwater system but we could upgrade to that in the future. Any recommendations would be helpful.

If you aren't weary of Craigslist I would scan through there too. I was able to get a new in box 18' Intex with add on SWG for about $300.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!!

I would also get a test kit from TFTestkit.net! I have the TF-100 and it is PERFECT!!

In my opinion, the 16 would be better... You're only talking a foot, but the larger pump is what would put me over the edge on picking it...

If you aren't weary of Craigslist I would scan through there too. I was able to get a new in box 18' Intex with add on SWG for about $300.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

There are some good deals on craigslist and I might use it if I upgrade equipment in the future but most of the NIB deals I saw were for larger pools which I don't have room for.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!!

I would also get a test kit from TFTestkit.net! I have the TF-100 and it is PERFECT!!

In my opinion, the 16 would be better... You're only talking a foot, but the larger pump is what would put me over the edge on picking it...

Thanks for the response. I'll go outside today and measure to get a better idea of what will fit. Bigger is always better I guess and the larger pump at the same price might be worth it. I plan on using the TFP method so i'll take a look at that kit.

I saw this past week that Wal-mart and Amazon were having good pricing on these pools, might check it out. My advice is to get the biggest pool that you can based on space available and budget, then you can keep it a while and upgrade parts as you want or need to which will keep you in line with your budget. The pumps on these pools are ok (not great) but I have used them with success for a long time so there is no need to upgrade right away. The salt water system is nice for pool maintenance but you can use bleach (Chlorine) and save a few dollars until you can upgrade if you like. Most important .... Get the most pool (largest size) you can, get a good test kit like the TF100. Having a good test kit will help you save money in keeping your pool balanced and not having to purchase un-needed chemicals.

Then as your budget allows to get the Sharkline, you will already have learned how to keep your pool balanced and have a good test kit you can use for a lifetime.

Thanks for the responses. We're going with the 15' model because my in-laws have a 15% off coupon for Target and they're paying for the bulk of it. My two year old will be very happy with his birthday present. You'll probably see me posting on other parts of the forum because I know I'll have plenty of questions. I'll probably start clearing the area tomorrow where the pool is going because I know it has a few leftover roots from a small rotting tree we removed from when we first bought the house.

i would so upgrade to a larger pump and filter. i did it today and it was so worth it. my pool already looks so much better. i upgraded my Pro Series to a new Intex 2100 GPH sand pump and filter. well worth it.

I might have to right from the start because after reading the manual it looks like the filter does not have any sort of timer built in. The 16' model filter has this as well as the filter you purchased.

I patiently waiting for my Intex sand filter to go on sale online on Walmart's site. It went to $99. and I pulled the trigger. (4 years ago) if you are patient, and check often, they lower stuff as the summer goes on. It doesn't always stay that price for long.

Ground prep is important on these pools, any pool really. That and following TFP! Luckily you have time to get a good test kit and learn the ropes before your pool is out up. Welcome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.