Plumbing Question - Heater Bypass

garywi

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Guys, I was re-plumbing my heater. As I was curious , I shut off the valve labeled Heater Bypass. I turned on the pump and water still flowed through the plumbing at the heater. I got a gusher right in the chest. :)

Am I missing something. What is the valve supposed to do...

Thanks

IMG_0432_zpsdivoblpl.jpg

The bypass may not prevent water going through the heater but just bypass some around it. But where did the gusher occur? That should not happen.

Hi Mark, while I had the "out" plumbing off the heater, I ran the pump with the heater bypass valve closed and water still gushed out of the "out" pipe at heater. Also, I don't understand, at the filter, there is a union so water coming out of the filter travels in two directions.

Hi Mark, while I had the "out" plumbing off the heater, I ran the pump with the heater bypass valve closed and water still gushed out of the "out" pipe at heater.
Ok, that makes sense. I think it is operating as intended. It is not for heater isolation but simply to reduce head loss.

Also, I don't understand, at the filter, there is a union so water coming out of the filter travels in two directions.
Again, that is for the heater bypass. One direction goes into the heater and the other ties in past the heater.

Thanks Mark! Ok, still, what is the purpose of this valve, heater bypass. :D
Some heaters require a bypass if flow rates are too high because they don't have a built in bypass. But most modern heaters have built-in bypasses.

If the filter pressure does not change much, you might just leave that valve closed. Too little water through the heater could stress the heat exchanger over time. But check the heater manual to see if it requires a bypass.

Thanks Mark. I checked and my Laars has an internal bypass, but I never understood the external manual bypass valve until today. I am thrilled to understand now, why my heater was overheating and thrilled I don't need any repairs. I wish the manual had this simple step in the troubleshooting guide. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.