New multi port valve?

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
Replacing my multi port valve and laterals......sand also for that matter. I was getting sand in pool but that's n my question.

My question is my new multi port valve came in and it needs 1 1/2" pipe. My old one is 2" pipe. Is that a problem? Can I just buy a fitting to go 1 1/2" to 2" without any issues?

This MPV is designed to use 1.5" threaded fittings for attachment. What you'll need to use to connect existing 2" PVC to the multiport is a 2" to 1.5" threaded adapter. Probably 3 of them for each of the lines, unless you do a 1.5" waste line, then just a 1.5" x 1.5" threaded adapter for that.

You should be able to find one like this at a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes... etc. http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/436-213-1-1-2-x-2-schedule-40-pvc-reducing-male-adapter.html

Well it's done..... Almost. I hate after everything is glued together used Teflon tape in threads and all. The male adaptor threads into multi port is leaking. Not sure what to do. Even one of the unions is leaking.

Problem is Taking it apart. Spinning the pipe will be a problem even if I disconnect it at the Union. I hate plumbing

then you probably didn't use enough wraps of teflon tape on the male threads...it should screw in snuggly..and DON'T put tape on the first 2-3 threads. if a solvent weld union is leaking, you'll have to redo it..just take your time, use the primer correctly and the cement and you should be good.

If the union is leaking make sure the o-ring is seated correctly and that you do not over-tighten it. Silicon pool lube on the o-ring helps to get a good seal as well. 3 rounds of teflon tape should do it, also be sure you do not over-tighten when putting it together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.