Liquidator installed below pool level

Jun 9, 2008
Oshkosh/WI
I have a Liquidator and it works well for me except for one thing. My in ground pool is in Wisconsin and the pump/filter/plumbing is all located in the basement. I installed my Liquidator in the basement also. My problem is that the hydrostatic head of the return line forces water into the inlet of the Liquidator to the point of slowly overflowing the Liquidator when the pump is not running. When the pump is running, the liquidator works fine and the liquid level in the tank stays wher it should. When the pump is off, the tank eventually fills and I get bleach water trickling down the outer sides of the tank.

Any experiences or suggestions??

There is supposed to be a float valve on the inlet that is supposed to prevent that from happening. Sometimes the float valves get stuck open because of calcium deposits and you need to soak them in a diluted acid solution to clean them.

So the Liquidator inlet float valve should be preventing the unit from overfilling. I will look at this closer.

I would like to better understand the AGP installation with 2 check vlaves.
I do have 2 check valves installed, one on the outlet and one on the inlet. The inlet check valve lets water into the Liquidator and doesn't help the over fill issue.

There are two ways the Liquidator can overflow. The outlet check valve can fail, allowing water to come in the outlet. Or the inlet float valve can fail, allowing water to come in the inlet even if the tank is full.

Yep just happened to me. I seem to have 2 bad check valves though. At first I tried to swap the inlet and outlet check valves and it overflowed again. I tried cleaning them and that helped a little but it still overflowed. So I ordered replacement check valves and have to close the flow control valve anytime the pump is off. I just hope the new check valves last longer than the 1 month these lasted. I did the 3/8 conversion so these were US Plastics check valves and not the original ones.

I have the same problem. My equipment is not in the basement, but it is an aboveground pool, with the LQ at ground level. I suspected bad float or check valve, but I have all brand new parts from US Plastics for the 3/8 upgrade, and new float valves from HASA. Is there anyone here with an ABG or smilar situation withOUT this overflow problem? If so, in how is your LQ setup?

My current setup:

RETURN PIPE (between filter and return jet)>>control valve>>flowmeter>>check valve>>LQIN>LQOUT>>control valve>>check valve>>SUCTION PIPE
(between skimmer and pump)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The higher the water level gets the harder the seal presses against the nozzle so I'd take it apart and see if there is a nick in the nozzle nose or if there's a defect in the seal. That float valve should be able to seal against 40 PSI or more.

Mine overflowed once due to the "out" check valve sticking. I replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

Here's a pic of my setup.
As you can see, there's nothing on the "in" side but the tubing.
Photo0027.jpg

Thanks for the pics Bama. I just finished hooking up mine exactly like yours, except I cut off the tails. We don't need any more left coasters prowling around the deep south....don't encourage him. :wink:

We will see if this solves my overflow problem. I have been experimenting with different setups but it never starts overflowing until I stop watching it. If this doesn't work, I;ll reattach the tails.

I'd be glad to get rid of all those tails if Bruce would send me their "upgrade kit". No tails on it then.

I have seriously considered ordering that one. All I'd need would be a couple of male threaded adaptors beyond what they sell to completely change it over.

Miranda said:
We don't need any more left coasters prowling around the deep south....don't encourage him. :wink:

We wouldn't know how to survive back there, what with tornadoes, humidity, bugs, etc. :lol: Here we get a little earth rattles every now and then, but that's about it. I was only offering to help "Bama out and clean up the equipment area a little bit, and then I'd get in the truck and head back home!

Bama Rambler said:
I'd be glad to get rid of all those tails if Bruce would send me their "upgrade kit". No tails on it then.

I have seriously considered ordering that one. All I'd need would be a couple of male threaded adaptors beyond what they sell to completely change it over.

I would love to send you the kit. Will that be cash or check :cool:

Nice pic Bama...I can't wait to get mine next week. That's the honey-do project for the July 4 weekend, unless the arrival is timed with my plumbing guy's arrival.

(pssst...Bruce...I'm going to be down Bama's way next month...maybe I can take care of those zip tie tails... :mrgreen: )

Weekend honeydo? shoot, the LQ can be installed in just a few minutes. If you want to avoid drilling holes in pipes and are replumbing anyway, add a couple tees instead. Lowes sells reducing tees with 1/2" threaded on the third leg. They also sell a 1/2" MPT x 3/8" nylon barb to attach the tubing. If you can't find the reducing tee, use a regular tee with a bushing down to 1/2" threaded. The plumbing section should have the barbs near the tubing, but you can also use the black elbows in the sprinkler section. For winterizing, all you need is a couple 1/2" threaded plugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.