Check Valve Placements??

May 22, 2016
Tallahassee
Redoing my pad plumbing.... Going to put check valves in between the filter and the solar control valve as well as on the solar return line... Where else do you all recommend and/or use check valves.....

Was thinking about putting one in front of the pump to help keep water in the bucket...thoughts?

Also was thinking about putting one in between the SWG and the return to the pool.....good/bad/necessary/unnecessary?

Any other places you like to use them?

Going with the Pentair flapper ones with the clear lid and the ability to replace the flapper unit, except for the one in between SWG and return will be a Jandy 1.5"/2" unit and will be piped 2" on the SWG side and 1.5" on the return side (pool underground plumbing is all 1.5", pad plumbing will be 2", but that will be a different thread and discussion :D )....

Actually, would rather not use them at all but the are often a necessity.

I assume you have an IG pool. How far above the waterline will your pump be?

IG... Pump is about 1ft above the water line

- - - Updated - - -

If you place one inline before the pump strainer then a lot of the debris you normally find the pump strainer will get clogged in the check valve

Is that a good or bad thing? What would you do if it was your pool?

I wouldn't install more than the first 2 you mentioned, which are the ones you really need. Every valve becomes a maintenance item sooner or later. Are you running solar without check valves now? Do you have a vacuum check valve near the solar panels?

Bad. I'd place one right after the pump but before the filter.

A check valve before the SWG isn't going to do anything for you.

Do you have a heater?

No heater....

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't install more than the first 2 you mentioned, which are the ones you really need. Every valve becomes a maintenance item sooner or later. Are you running solar without check valves now? Do you have a vacuum check valve near the solar panels?

No solar yet... I'm installing the bottom half of the solar plumbing now, and then going to do the rest up (meaning up the house and on top) when I get the panels at a later point.

You don't need a check valve on the supply side of the solar. The solar three way valve handles that duty. Most people opt for a "leaking" or actual solar valve for that particular use.

A check valve is required between the filter and the 3 way solar valve so that water does not drain back into the filter when the system turns off

- - - Updated - - -

A check valve before the SWG isn't going to do anything for you.

I forgot to mention.... I have an autofill system from the pipes in my house and that check valve would prevent the autofill from pushing water back through the SWG...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The solar control valve isn't going to be automated?

Even so, a check valve before the filter serves the same purpose and prevents any debris in the filter from heading back into the pool.

It is automated...but water will drain down the return line which connects to the filter...If the check valve is after the filter, the water will drain and mix with the filter as well...but if it between the solar valve and the filter, it won't make it to the filter....

no it won't.

The valve will stop all flow....I had this setup...it works.

Also the first check valve I had failed (came with house) and the pool repair
co cut in the new one the exact way.

The repair guy said it makes no difference either way, it just stops flow.

The location of the check valve does not matter as long as it seals properly. However as was mentioned before, anything before the filter has a tendency to collect debris and any small piece of the debris can keep the check valve open. To prevent this from happening, you should always put the check valve after the filter.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.