Building in 2017 - learning BEFORE I build

Hello,

Great website. Several in the know pool owners recommended I check this out before building. I'm sold on the TFP maintenance method, so that's a leg up I think. But right now I'm on the build/plan stage.

We are closing on a great house on nearly 2 acres, and it is a perfect set up for a great pool. The yard is flat and mostly sunny with no trees near the house. It's a blank slate with great landscaping on the perimeter but no major landscaping to remove near the

We want to build an in ground pool with a large hardscaped area and a pool house. Very large flagstones or stamped concrete was the idea. A more contemporary look with a clean, rectangular pool.

Right now I'm exploring cost and size, with some attention to placement. I'll consult with pool builders this winter to get some local expert opinions.

So right now I'm just trying to get a ballpark estimate on cost, and what size pool is best.

We want a pool to play around in. No laps, no volleyball games. No fountains, no slides, no waterfalls. Just kids and adults splashing around, etc. I do think we'll do some real nice lighting. again, a real clean, contemporary, almost modern look.

For size, I was thinking around 20x30 and up to 5 feet deep. Could be persuaded to go deeper if diving is a big deal. If that size is too big or too small, I want to know now!

For cost, the rule of thumb seems to be if the pool costs X, the hardscape, lighting, fencing, etc, will cost another X. So... what is a ballpark X for the size indicated above?

I know there are variables... fire away!

thanks in advance

Hi,
Welcome TFP! You certianly came to the right place.
You have a lot to consider in building the pool other than just the price and depth and things like that.

The options of how to maintain the pool are many. Pumps, method of sanitation, automation and the like can drive a person to the brink of madness and can add a lot of dollars to the bottom line. We can certainly help with suggestions when the time comes.

As far a how much it costs. A good rule of thumb, is to compare pricing per linear foot. Considering there aren't any special ground considerations, pool builder start with a basic pool without any fancy finishes and that is their starting point.

Using the linear foot method with "standard" equipment, you can intelligently distinguish the high price from the low price.
Then add the upgrades after you get the basics figured out.

The otional upgrade on equipment is more controlled by the retail market, and in my experience, when these get added, the pricing for them is fairly equal from PB to PB.

While you are building YOUR pool, keep in mind you might include common features that a later buyer might expect in a pool.
I know you likely expect to live there forever but ...