What chemicals need to be added for start up

Thanks for the info... I stopped by my local pool supply this after noon.. explained my setup and asked what I needed... the following is what the guy recommend...
1. Dry Acid adjuster ( weekly)
2. Perfect Weekly
3 Instant conditioner (3/4 gal initial start up)
4. Fresh and clear oxidizing shock ( .5 lb per week)

Is this true?

I

Yup. Never touched any of that stuff. If you bought it, return it. Spend the money on a good testkit you can use at home without driving to the store. Plus, those results will be way more reliable! Then you basically need a grocery or big box store for everything else. Cha-Ching! Lots of money saved.

Agree with the other posts ...

PoolDV gave you some great reading, I am an Intex Pool person as well and those chemicals are not what you need. Read those articles and get a test kit. You will learn so much, and when you have questions, your answers will be here. I almost consider myself an expert from reading and learning from others on this site and I still ask more questions and learn more all the time. The best part of the knowledge given here as that you are in control of your pool. You can enjoy the pool with the peace of mind that you have good clean safe water and when a problem or question arrives, you have people here who can help, and soon you will be helping others as well.

It is pretty difficult to accurately predict what your pool will need when we don't know what it already has!!

Precision testing pretty much starts the ball rolling.....can you give us some test results?

Thanks for the info... I stopped by my local pool supply this after noon.. explained my setup and asked what I needed... the following is what the guy recommend...
1. Dry Acid adjuster ( weekly)
2. Perfect Weekly
3 Instant conditioner (3/4 gal initial start up)
4. Fresh and clear oxidizing shock ( .5 lb per week)

Is this true?

I
Not at all. None of it. I sure hope you didn't buy any of that stuff.

The only one of those products I've ever used was dry acid. Once. When it was used up, I never bought any more. Dry acid leaves sulfites in the water. I'm not sure what conditions need to be met to make it start smelling like sulfur, but I'm sure I don't want to find out. My pool has survived six years without going green with nothing added but Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) Muriatic Acid, and CYA via some Trichlor pucks during vacations.

What you will need to get going is some bleach, some acid, some stabilizer (CYA) and salt. You don't need to go into the pool store to buy any of these.

Bleach is to get the Chlorine levels up right now so you don't get algae while fine-tuning the rest and waiting for the salt to dissolve. Acid adjusts the pH. Stabilizer (CYA) protects the chlorine in the pool so the sun doesn't destroy it all in an hour. Salt is so your saltwater generator can generate.

Your pool is right on the cusp between a temporary pool you can easily drain and refill in the event of a chemical catastrophe and a full-sized pool that has to be dealt with. SInce draining is probably out what with water restrictions, you're going to need a grownup test kit and some kind of salt test. Strips are okay for salt, but not for the rest.

You can be pretty confident that your tap water will have very low FC levels that will disappear quickly in full sun. You can also be sure there's no CYA in tap water. Just because I know the water here is hard, I can tell you you will need acid. How much and how soon, only testing will tell. And pool store tests don't cut it. The pH will change with aeration and temperature. It's much like shaking a can of Coke, just with less fizz. Even a short ride to the pool store will mess up the pH reading. You need to test it yourself, straight out of the pool.

Take all the money you almost spent buying that useless junk at the pool store and buy a proper test kit. You might as well just order it online because pool stores seldom stock the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit but will almost certainly sell you the K-2005 DPD test kit assuring you it's the same even though it's not. Do that first.

Head over to Lowes or Home Depot and find the pool section. Buy one canister (4 or 5 lb, whichever they sell. You won't need all of it) of Stabilizer aka Cyanuric Acid. They might have Muriatic acid out there. If not, it's in the paint section. Get a jug of that. If there's two different bottles, read the labels. One is half strength but full price. You probably already have bleach at home do do laundry. If not, pick up a jug of plain unscented stuff. No splashless, germicidal, outdoor... whatever. Plain bleach. Salt, can't help you there. I don't have a SWG. Your owner's manual should tell you how much you need. You can buy that at the same hardware store. They might have pool sand for your filter there, too. If in doubt, spend the extra and get
that at the pool store.

Once you have the pool filled and the pump and filter going and you're sure there's no leaks, run some tests and post back. We can help you figure out exactly how much of what to add. If the test kit hasn't arrived, see if one of your neighbors doesn't have a test kit you can borrow to at least check pH and TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.