Not holding chlorine

May 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
I just filled my pool a few days ago. I decided to SLAM it as I had a bit of algae at the end of last season when I put away my pool (9x 18 above ground pool). I had no problems for most of last year; however, this time I can not get it to hold Chlorine. I got absolutely no reading for CYA. I thought perhaps my chemicals were old or got wet in the garage, so I purchased replacement. The first time I slammed, the FC was only 7, rather than my target of 10. SLAMMED again the next night, and it was down a bit, but thought it might be OK. I just checked this evening, and I have absolutely no chlorine! I did use a Safeway brand of bleach - could that be a problem? I used Clorox tonight. I will check again in the morning and monitor it throughout the day. I have never had such a problem before.

Hi,
It sounds as if you may need to revisit the SLAM procedure in Pool School again. It isn't a one time thing, it's a process.

If your CYA is still 0, then you need to add enough to target 30ppm. The CYA will help protect the chlorine from being burned off by UV.
Without CYA, you will loose FC very quickly.

Not sure what your experience is, so forgive me in advance if I am stating the obvious!

Slamming is not a one shot deal. The M in slam stands for maintain. Maybe rereading the directions would help? Here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I am not sure about Safeway brand. If there is no sodium hypochlorite percentage listed on the jug, don't buy it. Also, check the "date-code" on the jug. It is usually a 5 digit number containing the last 2 digits of the year, and the julian date. Eg: 16150 would be the 150th day of the year. As chlorine ages it loses potency.

You need to add at least 20ppm CYA and see where you are.

I think I was spoiled last year by pretty easy maintenance. I just put in stabilizer last night, and I am still at a CYA below 20. The Chlorine/CYA chart does not recommend SLAMMING at that level. Should I just wait until it rises? At least the chlorine level is not 0 today, so it must be working somewhat. Thanks for your replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.