Antifreeze on top

May 18, 2009
Berwick Pennslyvania
Help needed! I blew 2 gallons on non toxic antifreeze into my pool when I opened it this weekend. It settled on top of the pool creating an oil slick. I have put in 8 bags of shock to kill the algea but it can't break the surface. The shock combined with the antifreeze has created a white oil slick on the surface which foams up in my skimmer basket. How can I get the antifreeze out of my pool without draining all the water?

That does not sound at all like a typical reaction of antifreeze suitable for pools. What other products did you add, if any, at closing or upon opening? What are the names of the products on the packages? Did you use an algaecide?

Was the antifreeze the pink stuff for RVs and pools? That's propylene glycol, and you aren't going to see that as an oily film on the surface.

Regardless of where the "oil slick" came from, the solution is the same. Time and chlorine will clean it up. I would bump your FC level up a little above normal and give it a couple of days and it should clear up. A scum bug in the skimmer is also a good idea.

In the swim clarifier and shock. Antifreeze not sure of the brand but I know it was the correct type, I've closed the pool many times before with the same stuff. Thanks for helpful tip on boosting chlorine and the skimer insert. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

I would try and gentle push the oil slick toward the skimmer with the filter on waste. Hold a 2X4 floating in the water at an angle to guide the slick toward the skimmer.
While you are doing that, keep a hose on in the pool to replace water you are wasting and keep the level up.
Use it like this:

A2290_Best_Seller.jpg

image from "In The Swim Web Site"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.