Help with adding chemicals after huge water loss

jstblush

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pasco, WA
Hi All,
We have a small leak and are going to have our liner replaced. In the mean time, over winter, we lost a ton of water. It's a slow leak, but added up over the winter to quite a water loss. So we are basically starting from pretty new water. Didn't want to add a bunch of chemicals if we could keep the chlorine level up since we will be emptying the pool anyway to replace the liner. But now it could be a couple weeks to a month before they get the new liner installed so we have to keep the one we have going so it doesn't turn into a swamp and we can use it until the new one is installed.

So, at this time we have no CYA in the pool. Was hoping to get the new liner going with the stabilizer but it looks like I have to use it in the old one. ;( Anyhow, what would be the best way to add stabilizer? We have a bucket of 3 inch tabs that we quit using last year when we went the bleach only route that can be used. Also have a 4 pound container of granular stabilizer.

Here are our other readings:

chlorine 0
FC 0
CC 0
CH 75
TA 70

Thanks for helping us get this thing back in shape until the new liner is installed. And we still have to choose the liner! I'm going crazy! The water looks nice and clear at this time. But with no chlorine and no CYA, and 102-105 degree temps coming this weekend,we need to keep the old liner going!

Sherry

Okay, CYA is starting to register but very little.
FC at 3
CC at 0.5
TC at 3.5
At least the chlorine is registering now. Before it was at zero. So chlorine probably isn't high enough yet. Will add some more and hope the CYA keeps rising. It was 103 here today which isn't helping. But it would be much worse if the pool wasn't holding any chlorine.

My husband added it through the skimmer. Is that okay or a mistake? He wouldn't wait to do it the other way. The temps were rising 101-104 with the pool holding no chlorine. As I stated, we are going to get a new liner but it is proving to take longer than we thought it would. So we didn't want this liner turning into a swamp since we can use it until we get the new one installed.
Sherry

It's OK to add to the skimmer, but that means lots of the granules are undissolved, trapped in your filter. They will dissolve over time, but you should not backwash for several days or undissolved granules will go out with the backwash water.

Thank you! We are not doing any backwashing right now. I also noticed in the little picture that your pool looks like it has a prism or royal prism floor. I am still considering which liner to get and was kind of curious if the those two bottoms look busy. Would you happen to have a photo you could post of your pool if it does have a prism or royal prism bottom?
Thanks again.
Sherry

- - - Updated - - -

JVTrain,
Ooops. Thought I was replying to MarianParoo when I was talking about the floor pattern since she has been the only one to respond so far. So thank you for the info on using the granular.
Sherry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, we threw the granules in on the 3rd and it's barely registering past 10. It seems like they should be dissolved by now. What do you think?
Sherry

- - - Updated - - -

Or will it take them longer to dissolve because he added them through the skimmer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.