Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
First off, I found you guys before I hit the pool store, so I'm ahead of the game already.

Specs:

Approx 20000 gal pool, rough estimate, 3ft to 8ft, 36x15
Vinyl inground pool

TFC100XL test kit.

My first tests, I'm a bit colorblind, but I confirmed the PH and CL tests with my daughter.

PH 8.2
CL 0
FC 0
BR 0
CYA 70 I went till I couldnt make out the black dot at all.
TA 200
CH over 450 drops weren't coming out even

Where do I start? Get the PH down, CL and FC up, or what? Thanks in advance. Yes, will input pool specs this evening, but I need to go get a beer, 112 out and summer still 3 weeks away.

Ray

Hello Ray (and daughter) :) welcome to TFP! :wave: First question ... how does the water look? Is it completely clear, or is there any cloudiness or signs of algae? That will drive your FC level. You have plenty of CYA (stabilizer) so don't use anything that would increase that more (i.e. tablets/pucks, bags of shock). Use only regular liquid bleach - generic is fine. Yes, pH needs to be lowered to at least the mid 7s for now. No need to record a "BR" (bromine) level. CH is high, but not unusual for your area. We'll talk more about that in a minute. TA is elevated as well, again, no surprise. We'll explain the tricks to that as well to bring it down.

Once we know the condition of your water, we can get you going. Great to have you with us. :cheers:

It looks pretty clear to me. I've swam in it a few times along with my daughter and didn't notice any irritations either. I knew the numbers would be off, just bought the place and just so many things to do, the pool kind of got left till last. I've manually cleaned it with the brush and suction hose a few times and have run the pump every day for at least 6 hrs since I moved in.

Get the FC up and the pH down, waiting about 15-30 minutes between. Do you know how to use PoolMath to calculate your dosages?

Well, first time, but it seems straight forward, except the pool size, which is a rough guesstimate. I added bleach amount it said, waited about an hour, then added muriatic acid to try and fix my two most obvious issues, no CL and high PH. Waiting another hour or so to recheck. Yes, pump is on.

pool.jpg

PH now 7.5 and CL above 5 after adding chlorine and muriatic acid. Will let pump run awhile longer then retest and have daughter doublecheck my color.

Great! Pool looks good. An FC of 5 is your absolute minimum with a CYA of 70. No SWG, right? Please target your FC to 8ppm. I recommend not going below 6.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't look like you have a slide. Do you have any fountains?

Great! Pool looks good. An FC of 5 is your absolute minimum with a CYA of 70. No SWG, right? Please target your FC to 8ppm. I recommend not going below 6.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't look like you have a slide. Do you have any fountains?

Thanks pooldv and Marian. No, no slide or fountain. No on SWG also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, new numbers now that I have some chlorine in the pool:

PH 7.5
CL 5+
FC 11
TC 12.5
CH 325 much more accurate drops this time
TA 240
CYA 65-70 tough call on the dot/mind tricks.

Do I need to worry about the CH and TA numbers? Looks like I went over a bit with the chlorine, but I"m assuming that number will drop with the heat/sun we are getting. Should I drop my PH to try and get my to try and get my TA down?

Thanks for the assistance!

Ray

yeah..they REALLY need to come up with a better way of checking CYA than the stupid black dot...after you look at that stinkin' thing long enough, you blink, then you see it, and blink a couple more times, then you dont...then look away for your eyes to refocus, then you see the dot faintly again...and on and on....Gottta be a better way.

Seems good. Just been testing PH and CL lately. Burning about 1/2 gal of bleach per day. Starting some deck repairs in the morning, so may be a few days before I test the water. Contractor going to cover pool.

CYA, anybody try the sample water they ship with the TFC100? If it's any indication, I think my CYA is lower than I originally thought. I was at 70 with the test water and it's supposed to be 50. Thinking I'm trying to hard to see the dot and my CYA is closer to 50.

Okay. Throw a jug of bleach in there before they cover it if you can circulate it for a half hour or more before they cover it. Good luck! I don't know how your thread got lost...

- - - Updated - - -

Did you test CYA in full sun?

No, guess I missed that part in all my reading. Did it on the covered patio, shaded.

Retested my CYA today after doing a couple of the test water samples to compare. Going to go with 60 on CYA. Other numbers:

PH 7.6
CL 6.5
CC .5
CH 350
TA 160
CYA 60

My PH does seems to be creeping up after a few days, so will continue to try and get the TA down more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.