Crystal clear pool but maybe algae problem

damato300x7

Silver Supporter
May 23, 2016
Latrobe, PA
So I have been following the TFP method for over a week and my pool has never been so sparkling clear. One problem if I sweep the pool today by tomorrow evening there will be like a white sediment that settles into the small crevices on the bottom of the pool. I have done the OCLT a couple times now and my chlorine drops 2ppm over night. Here are my most recent numbers taken this morning at 630:

FC - 3.5
CC - .5
PH - 7.6
TA - 130
CYA - 45
Temp - 78

I added 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach just to get it up to acceptable level. I did not have time to retest before I left for work. When I returned home my FC had dropped to 1.5ppm. So I added a gallon of 8.25% bleach and that raised my level to 8ppm. I will check in the morning to see how much it drops.

I think I need to get the pool to shock level but I am having a hard time convincing my wife that the pool needs shocked when it is so crystal clear. We have had this pool for 11 years and we have never seen it this clear since we started following the TFP method.

Do I need to increase to shock level and sustain it there until I pass the OCLT?

Thanks

Are her swimsuits the really expensive type?......like $100 dollar tops for extra support?

If not. Don't tell her. .......that's my recommendation. It's safe to swim at choline levels at shock for your CYA.

Well that is good to know. I didn't realize it would be safe to swim with a FC level that high. Im going to have a tough time keeping it elevated during the week when I am at work. I can add in the morning and in the evening. And check more on the weekends. Will this work?

She already calls me a mad scientist when I am testing the water! hahaha. Before this year we would just have test strips. But now I have a test kit, she gets a kick out of it. But she also loves how clean and clear the pool is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep..... I'm the she and not the he in our pool care relationship. Hubby doesn't have a clue about the pool.......doesn't know how to vacuum it....nothing. I'll give him credit for performing the fas-dpd chlorine test since he works from home but he had to call me at work to clarify what to do.

Chlorine at slam level "might" degrade swimsuits a bit. But I've never had a problem. And I buy the expensive ones.

If you are trying an OCLT, please test about an hour after that addition to know your exact result. It may not be exactly 18.

In the future, I would recommend always waiting until after sunset, (not just after no sun is hitting the pool), and in the morning within a half hour of sunrise, (again, not just before direct sun hits the pool). FC gets consumed by UV rays even on a cloudy day.

If you assume you reach your target, and don't hit it, or over overshoot it, it will skew your OCLT results.

Here's a scenario if you don't retest your addition for the OCLT:

If your addition SHOULD bring you to 18, but only really only hit 17.5, you may think you didn't pass at 16.5.

Conversely, if that same addition actually brought you to 18.5, (and you thought it would be 18), you would think you were golden if the morning test was 17, when in fact that would be a loss of 1.5.

I hope that makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.