Silver Supporter
May 1, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Just bought a new motor. As I'm removing the old one, I came across the wiring which is looking burnt. Is this normal? I'm attaching a picture.. should we be worried that it looks like this, and thus needing an electrician??

Attachments

• 14649876165392143899264.jpg
    14649876165392143899264.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 21
I'm concerned about a couple of things. One is the burnt wire. That has apparently been getting much hotter than it should. We don't know if that is recent or what it was about. I suspect your pump has been failing for a while and was the source of the problem. What is the amp rating of the breaker feeding the pump?

Second, you have a stranded bare insulated ground. Pools require insulated ground wires.

I would have a competent electrician come look at your setup and replace at least the wire in this whip and check the breaker. If it were me I would have him check to make sure your pool electrical at least meets the standards at the time of installation and size the breaker to your pump. It should be a GFCI breaker.

K. Thank you. I am thinking they bleeped up the whole thing. The old owners were contractors, and we have already been shown wiring issues in the basement.. of course it is on a Friday.
Thanks for the honest reply

It turns out that the wiring for the pump and salt water generator(which was broken when we bought the house this fall) were wired wrong, thus causing the SWG wires to catch fire.. saw that as we removed the SWG.. electrician rewired all, and pool is quickly clearing back up

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.