AO Smith Pump Pumping but guage goes from 0 to 10 then back to 0 etc

Jun 28, 2013
So i was vacuuming out the pool when all of a sudden the pump wasnt pumping at the normal rate.
it would go from 0 to 10 then back again in a matter of a few seconds.
I cleared the intake lines from the pool to the pump.
Could this potentially be debris in the pumps impeller?
If so, has anyone worked with an AO Smith 7-164302-24.
Its a 3/4hp 56j pump.

Attachments

• Pool filter and pump.jpg
    Pool filter and pump.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 25
Did you also check the pump's impeller area? With power off, you should be able to reach the impeller from inside the strainer basket to see if it is turning freely, either with your fingers or perhaps with a skinny, bladed tool like a screwdriver or wooden dowel of some sort. Just enough to spin it.

Too much water shouldn't effect it. So it would appear you've ruled-out all the suction side options by clearing the suction lines, checking the water level, and ensuring the impeller is not tangled. If that's the case, (unless the pump itself is simply going bad) then perhaps we need shift our focus to the pressure side (a water restriction)? Maybe the surging you are seeing on the filter gauge is not so much related to suction pull changes, but a problem in consistent water release on the pressure side from the filter, causing on & off back-pressure variances? I'm curious, would you be able to you repeat that psi fluctuation if you were to try and vacuum to waste? Vacuuming to waste should bypass the filter and tell us if the filter is a player in all of this or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.