I know this may be a dumb question but...

I just looked at the weather for today and the temps overnight are supposed to be freezing (low 30s) with frost advisory. My pool has been open for about 3 weeks and its been in the 40s-50s at night. Is there anything special I have to do? Run the filter all night or not at all? The water is all balanced and salt was adding yesterday. I was planning on setting up the SWG tonight but maybe I should wait until tomorrow for that? The temps are supposed to be close to 70s tomorrow. Also I was going to put on the solar cover today (even tho there is no sun) should I wait on that?

The solar cover will help retain heat that is gained during the day, so it will keep the water temp up, even with cooler temps outside. I think when you have a risk of freezing that will be more than 12 hours is when you have to worry about the pipes, but I agree, leave the pump running for prevention. Using the solar now will help keep the water temp up above the surrounding air. You can wait on the SWG, I'm not sure how well it works when the water temp is that cold? Someone else will chime in on that.

The solar cover is a good idea anyway; it will help reduce both evaporation and radiational cooling. Re. freezing, salt lowers the freezing point of water, and water has a huge specific heat anyway (takes a lot to make it freeze), but still--running the pump (on low if it's 2-speed) is cheap insurance.
--paulr

Ignore these warm weather folks--I've got the same forecast. One night of this will probably not put skim ice on a bucket--let alone affect a pool, even AG. No insurance of any kind required. As far as cover, you don't say what your water temp is so any advice is meaningless without that data bit. If ambient is colder than water, then cover will retain heat keeping pool warmer. I am at 66° F water temp now, and with this forecast I will be swimming by the end of the week and I have no heater or cover. We swam this past weekend (although not much!)But I hate bathtub temp pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.