South Houston Newbie

Jan 22, 2016
Houston, TX
Hello TFP. Thanks so much for this site, I have already learned quite a bit browsing over the forum.

I'm League City, just South of Houston and we are about to sign a contract for our in ground gunite pool! Exciting. Any tips or tricks that I might not have already figured out? I've done extensive research on pool companies, talked to owners, etc and settle on a "mom and pop" local builder.

The specifications are:
640 sq ft. 1135 new decking, and 277 old patio covered with spray deck.
104 ft pool perimeter.

We will also add a spa with 6 jets (thinking about taking that to 8?), a 24 ft long 12inch raised retaining wall with 2 water feature scuppers(?) around the back of the pool, and a wood burning fire pit. Total cost is coming in about $55k. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or "look out for" info.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: There are so many variables that drive the price of a pool it's hard to say if $55K is reasonable. But if you post a list of the proposed equipment for each quote, we should be able to give you some good feedback regarding the quality of what you are paying for and if any of the equipment should be changed or eliminated. You can also post a diagram that illustrates where everything is going. Great to have you with us. Stay dry this weekend. :)

The equipment is all Hayward. They didn't list exact model numbers, but I intend to clarify that with them before signing. The filter is listed as 425sf, and I wonder if that is the C4030 or perhaps they are quoting me a sand filter. I don't know that much about what Hayward has available, but I intend to go with the cartridge filter. The pump is the variable speed, and I'm hoping they are quoting me the 3hp. Valves are Hayward, I don't know much else about those. The heater is 400k Hayward, and a Hayward blower. Any other equipment I should be concerned about? Anything there look sub-par? Other than that, I've done some research on equipment and I'm ok with going Hayward. I probably would have preferred a Pentair pump, but other than that it isn't a big deal to me.

South of Houston hasn't been hit all that hard by the rains, we've been lucky. It seems to rain every day, but we haven't had any flooding *knock on wood*.