Anyone with a Triton II T60 - A favor

Apr 29, 2009
I was hoping someone here can help me clear up an issue I am having with my Triton II T-60 sand filter.

I am not getting sand into my pool when it is running in filter mode but I am losing some sand when I backwash.

I am looking at the owners manual and it shows that if I am losing sand when backwashing its due to a missing or broken "air strainer":

Sand loss to waste 3. Air strainer is damaged or missing. Replace damage components.

The parts list shows a air relief strainer (mesh) and a spacer as follows: Part #8 150035 Strainer ECL/TR and part #35 154612 Spacer air vent strainer 4½ in. TR50/60

Supposedly under the closure cap.

Could someone who has this filter (don't know if age has anything to do with it - mine was built pre-91) please take a look the next time you have the top off? I want to make sure I am running this filter correctly and not missing any parts. I worked hard to get the whole setup refurbished and back up and running after years of neglect and a year of not being attended to.

Thanks in advance.

It's common to lose sand when backwashing for a while after you change the sand. You probably just added a bit too much. There's nothing stopping the sand from leaving the filter on backwash except the weight of the sand itself, so if the bed is a little high it will wash out.

spishex said:
It's common to lose sand when backwashing for a while after you change the sand. You probably just added a bit too much. There's nothing stopping the sand from leaving the filter on backwash except the weight of the sand itself, so if the bed is a little high it will wash out.

Thank you! I guess I won't worry as much now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.