Fun and confusing at pool store

May 11, 2016
MD
I know, don't trust their numbers. I went and asked about parts for something and had them just check the numbers for fun.

Still throws me though.

I can't figure out how my CYA is going up, being i have put 5 lbs of dry PH down in over a couple weeks before figuring out what Murnuric (sp) acid is and what it does, and bleach and the acid is the only other thing I put in it...

but I am even getting a bit higher number of around 100, when i was under 90 before, and theirs is at 130 when it was 85 at the store after i took all the pucks and quit using shock out.

they say my TA is 97... my test is 200 still.

PH 7.9 on their test, when i get 7.6 or so... a little dripping water really makes it go up fast as it was 7.3 on sunday.

and their FC is 8.2 when I am at 11...

so yeah... way off of what I get, but they didn't even try to sell me anything...

Figured I would share

Well, we're never surprised that pool store tests seem different. If at any time you feel uncertain about your numbers though, check back with us and we'll clarify the testing process for any of them. Once you get confident and some practice under your belt, you can always rely on your testing number over the pool store. Have a nice weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully you have a speed stir as well. That makes a difference.

CC= 11? What do you have a rotting animal carcass in the deep end or something? :D

I've been in the pool store exactly once in the last 13 months and that was only to get replacement gaskets for my tank-to-spider-valve connection and plugs for the pump skimmer basket. At some point, it might be fun to see what they say about my water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
and had them just check the numbers for fun.
All newbies say mostly IDENTICAL words...."just for fun, just for giggles, giggles and grins, etc" I don't understand when the fun begins? It is hard enough to learn this new jargon, learn how to do these new tests, etc.

Why in the world it seems helpful or "fun" to bring in a completely bogus set of test results and start down the path of confusion is mystifying to me.

Well, every place may be different, and they could give honest numbers somewhere...
Well, you are right and I must apologize for being a bit harsh. You would think Pool Stores to be a great place to "meet the experts" but, in fact, it is most always the opposite.

It's literally a misconception that Pool Stores are a source of accurate info but they print out that computer sheet that says, " You really need to buy this...." and that's where you end up.....tossing chemistry in your pool that you don't need.

I am a small business person and have always tried to defend and support small business but I have been unable to support the Pool Store idea for almost ten years now......they simply do not earn our respect.

The problem with so many of these "computer systems" is that they report their results to 2 points past the decimal place, so many people confuse this level of precision with accuracy. For accuracy some of these computerized systems may be better than others, however to achieve this potential level of accuracy on any of these units they must be used correctly and maintained, this means being calibrated with reference standards, cleaned, and operated properly. If we look at the typical pool store, and pool store employee things like careful sample handling is obviously lacking, to which way may infer that the rest of the chain of proper operation and training may also be lax.

In my personal opinion the best computerized unit out there at this time is probably the LaMotte WaterLink Spin Lab, however even here if you watch the official training videos you can see that proper operation is a must to get reliable results, and 2 key factors here are filling the sample disks using a CLEAN syringe so as to avoid micro air bubbles, the disk must also be placed on a CLEAN surface will filling this is to prevent surface contamination touching the bottom of the sample disk. Now ask yourself this, have you ever seen a testing station at a pool store that looks like it even comes close to the necessary conditions? In particular have you seen the pool store employees handle the filling of a spin disk so as to even check for micro bubbles?

Well, you are right and I must apologize for being a bit harsh. You would think Pool Stores to be a great place to "meet the experts" but, in fact, it is most always the opposite.

It's literally a misconception that Pool Stores are a source of accurate info but they print out that computer sheet that says, " You really need to buy this...." and that's where you end up.....tossing chemistry in your pool that you don't need.

I am a small business person and have always tried to defend and support small business but I have been unable to support the Pool Store idea for almost ten years now......they simply do not earn our respect.

I own a business too. I hate when small business are the ones that screws people. I compete with big box stores and they screw my industry up horribly... some small guys do too... maybe i need to own a pool store and do it right too :) Though I guess if everyone got smart, the pool places would go away, other than for closings and openings Or call it "Just Bleach"

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with so many of these "computer systems" is that they report their results to 2 points past the decimal place, so many people confuse this level of precision with accuracy. For accuracy some of these computerized systems may be better than others, however to achieve this potential level of accuracy on any of these units they must be used correctly and maintained, this means being calibrated with reference standards, cleaned, and operated properly. If we look at the typical pool store, and pool store employee things like careful sample handling is obviously lacking, to which way may infer that the rest of the chain of proper operation and training may also be lax.

In my personal opinion the best computerized unit out there at this time is probably the LaMotte WaterLink Spin Lab, however even here if you watch the official training videos you can see that proper operation is a must to get reliable results, and 2 key factors here are filling the sample disks using a CLEAN syringe so as to avoid micro air bubbles, the disk must also be placed on a CLEAN surface will filling this is to prevent surface contamination touching the bottom of the sample disk. Now ask yourself this, have you ever seen a testing station at a pool store that looks like it even comes close to the necessary conditions? In particular have you seen the pool store employees handle the filling of a spin disk so as to even check for micro bubbles?

Sounds like you used one before :) I know it took her 4 times to get the thing right in the first place. as for clean syringe. eh... not really sure to be honest... i didn't watch that close and they are behind a desk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.