Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Maintenance

Hello
    I have an S750 Sand filter and not a clue who makes it, nothing printed on it accept for the spec., and nothing in the maintenance leaflet.
    I would like to know if, or when, the sand needs changing as I have a small problem that I cannot understand.
    I hoover the pool approximately every other day and backwash after. I then run the circulation system for an hour or so and note that the next day I have an accumulation of dark coloured particles on the floor of the pool. At first I thought it was air born debris being blown in from the surrounding fields but as I now cover the pool directly after use this may not be case.
    My thought is that the filter is not working efficiently and the sand needs replacing or the holding tank needs emptying and cleaning.
    Has anyone had a similar experience of this?
    Best wishes
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike Court
    In ground Pool size 12m x 5m x 1.3m av
    Concrete construction with tiled base and sides
    750 Sand Filter
    1.5k Pump
    I don't have a skimmer, around the perimeter of the pool is a plastic grate above a concrete channel that directs overflow into holding tank.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand Filter Maintenance

Hi, Mike,

I think it might be related to your algae problem in the other thread. About all you need to do to a sand filter is open the top from time to time and see if the sand is not crusted over, loose, reasonably level.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand Filter Maintenance

HI Mike
    It makes it easier for everyone to help, if you list your pool equipment in your signature
    8) cheers .
    Happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.