Inground light

DontFillitin

Platinum Supporter
May 7, 2015
Birmingham/AL
Most forums I am on have "for sale" or "wanted" sections. I couldnt find one here. I am in need of a cheap light with a 15' cord. It doesn't have to be anything special. This is a rental house, and I am a broke man, so I dont want to spend a ton of money on it. I don't even know how to check to see what exactly I need, or how to replace it, but I will figure it out with the help of you good people! Anyone have an old working light you can pass off to a brother? I assume I have to pull the light out to check it??

First thing I would do is pull it out so you know what to get. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do that usually it is just a single screw top or bottom and the light just tips out of the niche, if it was installed correctly there will be a coil of slack cord behind the light so you can bring it up to the deck. Then you can remove the screws that hold the lens on to see what kind of bulb you are dealing with.

Ok

You have a Pac Fab 11990 Fixture

It requires a 500 watt t-3 bulb (you can buy smaller than 500 watts)

I would call SunPlay or Inyo Pools and tell them what you need they will sell the correct bulb.

Inyo Pools has several videos on how to change a bulb. How To: Replace A Swimming Pool or Spa Light - YouTube

You should also replace the gasket at the same time.

Both places said to get in touch with Pentair because it has been discontinued, which I did, and they haven't replied. I'm a little frustrated to be honest.

Is there anyone on the board who may have an old light that will work in my pool? I dont care about anything special, just a working light would be great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry about this and by all means please tell on us as it makes us better =) Let me check again with Pentair on this as this is a light that was discontinued by them with no replacement, normally on there lights the old light can replaced by a Pentair Amerlite but this was an odd sized light and from my understanding none of there current lights will fit this niche. There is also the possibility of using a niche adapter plate, so I will check that route as well. I will post back to this thread what I find out. Sorry for the "swing and a miss" on the first attempt, hopefully we will do better the second time around.

Thank You
Patrick

Okay here is the information I have right now... the niche that the SunRay light fits into is a non-standard sized niche meaning that no currently manufactured light "out of the box" will fit the niche you have. What you will need is this Light Niche Adapter Ring Once the light adapter ring is installed into your niche, your niche can now accept a standard sized 500W 120V Pentair Amerlite W/ 15' Cord

I do have a call into Pentair to see if there is a light that they can suggest that will work right of the box but it is a long shot, I'm 99% sure there is not.

Also could you confirm the dimensions of the light, I believe you may have given these to me at one point but I could not track those down.

Here is a more detailed description from the manufacturer on how the light adapter ring works

ADAPTABLE LIGHT RINGS
Converts A Light Niche to Accept A Standard Replacement Light
Adaptable light rings will fit any metal or hand formed niche from 9-3/4” to 12” solving
the problem of trying to repair an obsolete light, or trying to reconstruct a niche to fit a
standard light. The unique feature of these light rings is that they can be installed
in a few minutes and accept a standard light, Simply remove the old
light, insert the Adaptable Light Ring, tighten the retaining screws, and install
the new light. It’s that easy.

The Adaptable Light Rings are part of our Consolidation Program. Instead of
stocking hundreds of light parts to cover the multitude of possible replacement
applications in the field, the Adaptable Light Ring allows you to stock a few of
the most popular replacement lights.

As part of our Consolidation Program, our 500P model
adapts to same lights that fit all 500, 500B, 500C models.
Constructed from rugged ABS (plastic) for durability that
offers the added benefit of light weight for easy handling and
shipping. The unique design features a ground strap
molded into the casing

Thank You
Patrick

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry about this and by all means please tell on us as it makes us better =) Let me check again with Pentair on this as this is a light that was discontinued by them with no replacement, normally on there lights the old light can replaced by a Pentair Amerlite but this was an odd sized light and from my understanding none of there current lights will fit this niche. There is also the possibility of using a niche adapter plate, so I will check that route as well. I will post back to this thread what I find out. Sorry for the "swing and a miss" on the first attempt, hopefully we will do better the second time around.

Thank You
Patrick

Thanks Patrick! Pentair got back to me. They sent me the owners manual lol. It is starting to look like this is going to cost more than I can spend on it

Hi DontFillitin,

Thanks so much! Did you see my latest post about the light adapter ring, as it looks like we posted at the exact same time =)

Thanks
Patrick

I didn't see it lol! Yeah, it looks like I'm not going to be able to fix this, as much as I want to. I simply can't justify spending so much on it when this may be our last summer at this house.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking for a "cheap fix"

- - - Updated - - -

I would have easily spent the money on a bulb, gasket, and possibly even the ring, but having to buy a whole light, and adapter is just out of my budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.