Re: PH and TA "issue" (???) - tstex

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX

My TA was getting low 45-50 range and I brought it up to 80...my pH has been pretty unstable now... it was 8.2 or a bit higher after adding acid on and off...w all he rain we had, I knew it was going to be higher. So I added some MA and it brought pH to right under 7.0 [I obviously added more than I wanted]. It might be 6.8-6.9. I am running my dual scuppers full blast, plus spa spillover... Two questions:

1. By swinging a pH from 8.2 to right below 7, does that cause any for future issues for chemistry maintenance?
2. What impact could it have on pool or equip? I know too acidic is bad for equipment/heater, but hopefully not a one-time event short termed.

Finally, I also agree on m-acid a the best pH reducer. I too buy from Lowes, the 2-pak gal's of 31.45% for 13.50....yesterday H-Depot had the 31.45% 2-pak for $10.98 so I bought one - it surely wks too....

thank you,
tstex

Every time you add acid, you lower pH and TA. Check out effects of adding chemicals at the bottom of poolmath.

With a bunch of aeration and 80 TA, your pH is probably already above 7.0, so it's neutral-to-alkaline. Metal equipment will be okay if it's above 7. Swimmers prefer 7.2>7.8.

Aeration raises pH without raising TA.

My advice is to go easier on chemical additions or you'll be forever on the chemical yo-yo. You might even want to double-check the volume you've been inputting on poolmath. If your pool isn't as big as you think, you'll be overdosing everything.

Thank you Richard - bingo...

I just took another pH reading and it was 7.0 - 7.2 range now...we've had so much rain, the aeration factor is really skewing all. Also, when I recently had my pump replaced, the tech changed-up the pool circulation times/speeds. Before, I was at a daily 8am-4pm 80% pump speed. now there's 4 diff time throughout the day and night. A high speed from 6am-8am and 8pm-10pm, then two lower speeds. I think even at the lower speeds w the spa-spillover, I am getting reduced pH due to more aeration, so I have now have 2-3 diff variables: rains, diff pool speeds/circulation times and increased TA.

I'm going to closely monitor and limit all controllable variables now, then deal w the rain. Hard to shoot 3 moving targets at the same time w one pistol.

Rgds, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.