Intex 1000 gph pump-GFI will not reset

May 26, 2016
Anywhere, PA
Last week I posted that I had to relevel and refill my pool. (Side note, gravel on tamped dirt, under the foam was the trick)

Since I emptied and started over I decided I wanted to do the saltwater system. I dumped the salt and everything was looking really good. My wife unplugged everything yesterday while the kids were swimming. Last night when I plugged it back in the GFI on the pump (not the saltwater system) would not reset. The saltwater system was fine.

They are plugged into a brand new GFI outlet. My question is: Can I cut the GFI plug off the end of the wire and replace it with a regular plug? What is the need for a double GFI? Has anyone ever done this?

I would like to try this before having to sink money into a new pump already. This is my first pool and I'm already tearing my hair out between the leveling, releveling and now this.

This is an easy set "blob" 15 x 36 round.

Thanks,

Steve

Not sure anyone has done it but I would one GFCI is plenty.

Before you cut it off you may want to try using an extension cord from a different outlet just to be sure the pump GFCI is the problem and not the outlet GFCI would be a shame to cut it off only to find you have to replace the one at the house too.

oh and try unplugging the salt system to rule out any interference from it. Not likely but stranger things have happened.

I had the same problem with mine. Before i upgraded to new pump and filter my old pump was a GFI and i had it hooked to an Intermatic timer. It would come when i had it set to come on. Now that i have a new Intex pump and filter the GFI has to reset before the pump will kick on to work. I am going to cut the GFI off tomorrow and wire it in to the GFI on my timer so that it will come on and off when i want it to.

I replaced my Intex GFCI with a regular plug as well. My socket is GFCI protected at the house. The Intex one kept tripping when my external timer turned everything on.

The conundrum:

The NEC requires electrical outlets supplying power to a permanently installed pool to be protected by a GFCI. NEC 680.20(C). The Plug connection for a permanent pool does not have to have integrated GFCI protection. NEC 680.20(A)(5).

The NEC requires 125 volt electrical outlets within 20 feet of a sorable pool to be protected by a GFCI. NEC 680.32. The Plug connection for a storable pool must have integrated GFCI protection. NEC 680.31.

So if you cut the GFCI off the cord the pump no longer has its UL certification.

Frankly I have no answer, because as you have noticed GFCI in series tend to have more nuisance trips. Inexpensive timers and transformers only make things worse.

I think this is rather nuts. I would buy a high quality timer. I would use the two GFCI unless I had a tripping problem. I would have the GFCI in the outlet not the breaker. If I had a tripping problem I would replace the entire cord, not just cut off the end. I would keep the GFCI cord so I could replace it later if I sell the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the NEC requires the plug for a storable pool to be GFCI because they assume the consumer will eventually make a mistake and plug that storable pool into a non-GFCI outlet. Provided you are not THAT consumer, you are safe as far as the laws of physics are concerned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.