when can swim after a SLAM?

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
Once I adequately SLAM, when is it safe/recommended to be able to swim again.
In other words, how long does it typically take a FC level to drop from 28 to swimmable levels? Approximately- I know there are variables like sun exposure (we get a lot on our pool).
WHat is the maximum safe FC level to swim in?

Thanks.

The pool is already clear I am slamming due to excess chlorine consumption based on overnight test. My question is more if you can swim at high chlorine levels? And how long it takes for chlorine to float down after a slam?

How fast depends on how much FC and how much CYA and how much sunlight. Study on this graph a little and see if you can figure it. The explanation is in Pool Water Chemistry

ChlorineLoss.gif

If you weren't going over the recommended SLAM level, you can swim immediately. If you overshot, a few hours of full sun should get FC down to there. Run the pump. The burnoff mostly happens near the surface where the UV hits. Down deeper the UV is screened out just by the depth of the water. Since the rate of decay is proportional to the concentration of FC, it will lose a lot more at higher FC and slow down as FC goes down. A couple days should be more than enough to return to normal FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.