Help with overnight fc numbers

May 17, 2016
St. Elmo IL
First slam last night. Even though I used the calculator, I got the fc much higher than I needed to slam. The fc at night was 30+. This morning, fc was still higher than I need in the slam, but my overnight fc loss was greater than 1.0. As I understand this forum, that means that I am not done slamming. Should I cover the pool with the solar cover to keep the chlorine high through the day today? And then re-slam tonight? I don't know why my initial fc got so high. I used calcium hypochlorite but will have to use liquid bleach tonight. WAter still is very clear, but not the crystAl clear you get when everything is going great. We had replaced over half the water this year due to high cya. Any help is always appreciated

First slam. Now what?

Sorry if this is a double post. I'm hoping for a quick answer before I head to work. Using tfp method, my first slam needed a chlorine level of 20. Somehow, I managed to get it over 30 using calc-hypo. My fc this morning was down to 25, so by the standards, I still need to slam. Should I put the solar cover on to keep the fc high today until I return from work? Since the fc is still higher than what I need in a slam, if I can keep the fc high today, do I just do an overnight read tomorrow? If it matters, we just replaced over half the water due to high cya that is now down to acceptable 50. For any additional chlorine additions, I will be using liquid bleach.

Re: First slam. Now what?

Solar cover on/off doesn't matter that much. You can do an OCLT anytime, probably won't do much good until the water is crystal clear.

I would recommend a few things to help you along... work on trying to meet but not exceed your SLAM FC level based on your current CYA. When you over-shoot your SLAM FC level, you can lose more FC than what is allowed no matter what. Also, I hope you adjusted pH to 7.2 before starting your SLAM as noted on the SLAM page (link below). Definitely save the OCLT for last. If your water is cloudy and you've been losing more FC than normal each day, then let the SLAM work for as long as it needs to. Once the water is clear, then do the OCLT last. Remember that SLAMs are not overnight processes and often times they take several days. The green pools take much longer. Later you are welcome to post a full set of test numbers if you would like a 2nd opinion. Other than that, stick close to that SLAM page and follow all the notes. You'll do fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.