High CYA, Draining Pool

Aug 2, 2008
Georgetown, TX
Hi there...

I'm not ever sure if this is my first post.. I don't think so...

I've been a lurker mostly and last year tested my CYA and found it to be way over 100. my guestimate would be about 150. I'm using a Taylor test kit.. need to check number, but its the one where you keep adding white powder till you turn the water clear for the CL test. Sorry, its been a while.

Anyway, so using the calculator, Im going to try to replace about 80% of my water. Then restart from there. Last year, I the fight against algae was a draw and when I saw the green all over the pool, I figured it was time to drain.

Im just north of Austin and my pool is inground and mostly on rock. No water table worries and outside temps are nice right now...for the time being.

Obviously was using pucks and will be stopping that. Will also be adding borax when I get things back to normal.

No real questions, I guess. Just figured I would share... I guess only issue is figuring 80% of water in pool, but I can do math so will try to figure that out. I intend to drain more than needed and the go from there.

Oh, and I used to drive the Missouri City lots when I lived in Pearland....

Dave

18,000 gallons or so with spa.... 7.5 feet in deep end, 3 feet in shallow end. Shaped kinda like this: 0o0
Pool equipment: Pentair pumps, DE filter, had a Zodiac Nature 2 cartrige but stopped wasting money on that..

Superdave said:
I've been a lurker mostly and last year tested my CYA and found it to be way over 100. my guestimate would be about 150.
You can dilute your pool water sample 50-50 with tap water, run the CYA test again and double the result. That will give you a better handle on your actual CYA number. You lose some accuracy but the CYA test isn't all that precise to begin with.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.