PH and TA "issue" (???)

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
is adding acid part of normal routine?

I know my TA is still high and I need to try some MA instead of dry acid (been through 16 pounds of that and the pH just goes back up to 7.8+.

dropped to 7.2 (didn't want to go lower as we still swim) and TA dropped from 240 to 200 with dropping pH and aerating using the return.
Back to 7.5+ each day and I keep adding dry acid. At this point, I am going to use Pool Math and add a gallon of MA...

is that routine or only time will tell?

It is probably a routine that will diminish with time. Rainwater and adding acid to keep the pH down will eventually lower the TA to where the pH becomes more stable.

My TA was around 280ppm when I filled my pool 10 years ago, and I went through a gallon of MA a week. It has gotten easier every year, and this year it was 7.5 when I opened and is still there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TA will gradually drop as you continue to add MA acid and it's removed via aeration and rain. But will fill water and a TA of 480, that means rain-barrel time. I would test your fill water again, maybe even 2 times. Make sure you run the fill water for 1-2 min's to flush you hoses and pipelines to the main pipeline/etc.

The muratic acid in either HD or Lowes in the Paint/flooring section is more expensive than the MA in the pool area. They usually stock this M-Acid right as you walk out into the "outdoors" area...Ask them in this section of the store...

TA will gradually drop as you continue to add MA acid and it's removed via aeration and rain. But will fill water and a TA of 480, that means rain-barrel time. I would test your fill water again, maybe even 2 times. Make sure you run the fill water for 1-2 min's to flush you hoses and pipelines to the main pipeline/etc.

The muratic acid in either HD or Lowes in the Paint/flooring section is more expensive than the MA in the pool area. They usually stock this M-Acid right as you walk out into the "outdoors" area...Ask them in this section of the store...

My HD only had the low odor stuff, at $8/gallon. I'm going to have to check rural king or another farm store I guess.

As for the rain barrel, are you saying some people collect rain water just to fill the pool? I'm a little tempted, my tap water is really high in TA also.

"Rainwater into a pool can be a VERY good thing. I diverted my gutters to get the extra fill water I needed." per Dave S.

It's practically or virtually impossible that rain water would cause you any issues in any applications from a chemical standpoint. If it comes in via your roof or your doors via a 16 inch rain, then you have a problem. In Houston, we have not had to fill our pool in over a month+ due to all the rain...

I searched my local Lowes and Home Depot. Both had the same stuff. Neither had any MA in the "pool" section outside. They both had "pH down" powder.

Both had MA in the paint section. Both offered 31% and 14% (skipping decimals). Both were ~$8/gallon for any flavor.

I'm on my 2nd case of the 31% stuff as my pool seems to like ~1 gallon per week. The fill water that came in from a truck had a TA 400+. I'm now down to ~250.

ac

they even checked the computer, both are out and not carrying the rest of the year...probably too many dummies (like me for now) buying in paint section.
Off to Ace and Runnings.

TA is now 130 and pH at 7.0

Doc & Ave,

Looking at your locations, I am betting this is a volume thing, and there are a lot more pools in Houston than in prob many of the NJ cities [just a guess]. Therefore, they go thru a lot of MA here, bc even the SWG pools need acid...

If you want, here is the HD # 281 870-9369. see If they can give you a SKU# so you can cross-reference it, maybe you can get lucky...I just went outside and the box says "Sunbelt Chemical Comp"...the 1 gal jugs is branded "Smart" ...good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.