No tile on steps, spa seat and tanning shelf?

lands

Apr 19, 2016
Redondo Beach
Hi,

I could use some thoughts and advice...

I'm in the process of getting my pool replastered. As part of the work I added a tanning shelf. It's been chipped and is just about ready to tile the new area and plaster.

Previously I had a row of tiles along the outline of each step and the spa seat. The builder let me know they don't do that anymore unless asked - the change in elevation shows enough of to guide you. It will be an extra cost if I'd like to add it back and have it along the step/bench at the end of the tanning shelf.

I'm in my 40's and used to seeing the tile on the steps. I'm worried since I'm using plaster and not pebble tech, that it will look too plain. But maybe it would actually look more modern without it.

Is this the new way of doing things?
Am I just too old?
Experience or examples?

Thanks a bunch. I need to decide in the next few days, and it's driving me crazy.

LB

:wave:Welcome to TFP! You'll get impartial answers here - no one has an agenda. And wait a minute ... you're just a kid! (compared to yours truly)

Funny, but my pool builder told me the same thing. After looking around on this forum, I saw plenty of pools with step, bench, and shelf markers. I personally like them and can see the edges much better - especially since I learned from the experts here how to keep my pool water crystal clear! I think in the end, my PB didn't charge extra for the marker tiles.

It still comes down to a personal choice. Check out Pinterest for pool steps with markers and steps without. See what appeals to you. Pinterest will have tons for you to see.

We'd love to see the work on your pool!!
Suz

We did not want them in ours and actually scrapped them off when I got home and saw them. The way they were done was nice, but to us it seemed to date the pool. We have no regrets and it's easy to tell the difference in our pool. I would certainly like to recommend considering spending the money for a pebble finish. There are other options besides PT

brett

Many do, many don't have them. Probably not at their peak now but it's not like they are avocado appliances either. Hard to dispute they make steps and ledges more visible than without them.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Do any of you that mentioned you don't have tile have a plaster pool, or is everyone's some sort of pebble (like pooldv, and thanks)? I agree 100% in that case.

Looking for more examples now. Some that appear to not have tile (it's hard to find examples):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-isZ3SQPmdNc/UuKvdajYf0I/AAAAAAAAKrw/_2aeS_7ljvscZpua_k_R0YT5ZvZyChV2ACHM/IMG_0591r.jpg?imgmax=912
Request Rejected
http://www.relaxpools.com/images/Galleries/Steps/steps-bench-roman-pool.jpg

Thoughts?

Looking for more...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems these days that pool trends change every year, so regardless of what you do it will look "dated" in just a few years. I have been posting on this message board for only about 6 years now, and it is amazing how many things that were trendy as recently as 2010 are rarely seen with pools today. Take the whole beach entry / zero entry fad, it seems like half the pools being built on the build threads here were beach entry pools a few years ago, and now I don't remember the last time I saw one in a build thread.

We are not doing them in our pool, but our tile is sort of a stone look. If we were doing a color tile or the little glass tiles I would love to have them on the steps and ledge!! Either set as little diamonds or the long line of tile along edge of steps. I've seen so many pretty ones like that on this site!

Personal taste issue for sure, but I've noticed that when the kids are really going for it and the water is really churned up, it's very hard to see the steps and ledges. They've banged a calf or shin here or there, and I cringe when I see them jump in anywhere near the steps (despite cautions, orders and banishment). So if that's important to you, it's something worth considering. Of course any fibreglass pools or drop-in steps don't have much for markers. I'd also say the kids get to know exactly where the underwater stuff is because they really want to win whatever game it is they're playing, and they don't prefer pain. The little ones and great-grandma tend to stick to the corners or shallow ledge when it gets crazy, so all good there. Unmarked steps and ledges are easy to see with mild activity in a sparkly TFPC pool!

I like ours without the markers for the clean look, but I say 'go for your life' - it's your baby and you get to bling it up any way you want!

We put some marker tiles on ours. If I recall correctly, local / state code requires some sort of marker. I think that edge tiles would have been nice too but it was not necessary. With a traditional white plaster pool, I can see where it would really make a difference to add some color difference and interest, with a PebbleSheen pool like ours, don't think it is as necessary.

For our marker tiles, we had them cut the wall tile into smaller triangles. In this picture, you can see them a little on the sunshelf.

I had always thought they were for extra bling and accents. Didn't know they were so you wouldn't stub your toe or fall off until I found TFP and and read that in some posts. I don't think they are dated and our PB puts them in all their pools. We love them!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.