New Light Bulb in an old fixture

Sep 11, 2014
Winter Springs, FL
A couple months ago, the light went out in our pool. After shopping around, I finally bought a Color Splash 3G LED bulb to add some pizzazz to the pool and back yard. Yay!

So today, I took the fixture out. When I got the lens and gasket off, a couple teaspoons of water came out. There is also a little bit of corrosion around the fixture itself. It's not completely rusted out or anything like that, but this fixture is clearly a few years old. I'm more concerned about the wiring and safety than I am the little bit of spots of corrosion on the fixture.

My question is, at what point should I replace the entire fixture? I've included some pictures here. 20160602_194225.jpg20160602_194155.jpg20160602_194229.jpg

I don't see any obvious damage or anything, but as I said, this thing has been a round a while. My biggest concern I guess is the wire.

Also, the pool light is hooked up to a breaker that has a "Test" button (GFCI I assume?) If there were a problem with the fixture or wiring, I'd be ok... right?

I kind of think I'm being a little paranoid here, but submerged electrical appliances make me... what's the word... nervous.

The GFCI is a protective device but it's akin to a seat belt you only need it when something goes wrong. If you have water in the light you want to clean the fixture and if possible replace the gasket then submerge it again, if it stays dry inside you are good to go if not the leak may be due to corrosion or a crack in the cord if that is the case I would replace rather than depend on the GFCI. Gaskets are model specific so do search to find a replacement.

Yeah, obtaining a year after year seal with pool lights is not automatic. They have to be done carefully. How do I know that? :oops: :oops:

Replacing the entire fixture can be easy or a nightmare, depending on how easily the cord pulls. If it were my pool, I would sand out the rust, touch up(seal) the rust off a bit on the inside and then put a new bulb and gasket and reinstall the fixture. Spend a very careful amount of time with the seal, it can easily leak again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.