TF100 and DPD

May 6, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
How many more have done this i wonder :?: Read a topic here today where the poster was having trouble measuring the DPD Powder. Well brother I'm here to tell you that you are not alone. After a week of testing-and loving the simplicity and the accurate results produced , I was getting a bit miffed because of the cost of the kit vs the tiny 3g bottle of powder. I was saying to myself " it's a great kit but why do they cheapen it with such a small amount of a major componet". :lol:

I just went to do a test and used the OTO tester. Being as the folks here got me on the right track I didn't want to trust my 'color vision" and decided to do the FAS-DPD method also. That's when I dropped my wee blue spoon and my wife Linda picked it up for me and remarked "That's the teeniest spoon I have ever seen" I was embarrased then but didn't let on but just answered-"YEAH-me too" :lol: while recalling what i had read earlier. Oh well,live and learn :hammer:

Anyone have a handle on average-how many tests one should get from a 3gm jar? Used correctly I'm sure it must be more than I got-like about 8 :oops:

2-3 more tests and I'll need another 3gm? :cry: I'm sure if I use the scoop instead of the handle i will get a season or more out of it. :)

The 3 grams of powder normally lasts longer than the titrant (drops used to change the pink to clear). I have done at least 50 tests with my most recent container, and it is not even half way down yet.

I'll admit my first 5 tests with the FAS-DPD powder I used the flat handle instead of the scoop. :oops: I went thru half the powder in the first month because of my lack of observation. Since using it correctly I still haven't run out of my original powder, though it is getting rather low.

I've come across 5 new users in the last month who have made the same scooper mistake.

Dave should get scoops that say "Other End Stupid!" on the handle. :mrgreen:

The TF-100 contains 10 grams of powder. My original PS-233 kit from Ben also contained 10 grams and (admitting to being a complete tightwad) lasted me 6 years.....it just ran out last year. The powder was charcoal grey but, nevertheless, functioned perfectly.

I have always used the correct end of the spoon but, when I was learning, there's a thing or two I've done with some other testing that is too embarrassing to mention. :shock: :shock:

My initial supply lasted 3 months, but I have both a pool and separate spa, plus I test way more often than anybody would think necessary. For any sane person it should last a year; for somebody able to decipher an OTO test, it should last a lot longer.
--paulr

Hope my post wasn't taken the wrong way-
Absolutely not....not by me, anyway.

I will reluctantly admit to one of my testing experiences. For the first week, (disregarding the instructions) I looked sideways thru the CYA view tube and couldn't figure out why the dot wouldn't disappear. If I remember, I thought the mixture would dissolve the dot.

That's the last one to which I will admit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.