Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF100 and DPD

1. Back To Top    #1

TF100 and DPD

How many more have done this i wonder Read a topic here today where the poster was having trouble measuring the DPD Powder. Well brother I'm here to tell you that you are not alone. After a week of testing-and loving the simplicity and the accurate results produced , I was getting a bit miffed because of the cost of the kit vs the tiny 3g bottle of powder. I was saying to myself " it's a great kit but why do they cheapen it with such a small amount of a major componet".

I just went to do a test and used the OTO tester. Being as the folks here got me on the right track I didn't want to trust my 'color vision" and decided to do the FAS-DPD method also. That's when I dropped my wee blue spoon and my wife Linda picked it up for me and remarked "That's the teeniest spoon I have ever seen" I was embarrased then but didn't let on but just answered-"YEAH-me too" while recalling what i had read earlier. Oh well,live and learn

Anyone have a handle on average-how many tests one should get from a 3gm jar? Used correctly I'm sure it must be more than I got-like about 8

2-3 more tests and I'll need another 3gm? I'm sure if I use the scoop instead of the handle i will get a season or more out of it.
    Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF100 and DPD

The 3 grams of powder normally lasts longer than the titrant (drops used to change the pink to clear). I have done at least 50 tests with my most recent container, and it is not even half way down yet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll admit my first 5 tests with the FAS-DPD powder I used the flat handle instead of the scoop. I went thru half the powder in the first month because of my lack of observation. Since using it correctly I still haven't run out of my original powder, though it is getting rather low.

I've come across 5 new users in the last month who have made the same scooper mistake.

Dave should get scoops that say "Other End Stupid!" on the handle.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I have used mine at least 90-100 times and have some left. Had to order refill for the titrants.

Susan
    18x33 AGP, BAQUAPURE 200 lb sandfilter, 2 1/2hp Workhorse pump (2 speed)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The TF-100 contains 10 grams of powder. My original PS-233 kit from Ben also contained 10 grams and (admitting to being a complete tightwad) lasted me 6 years.....it just ran out last year. The powder was charcoal grey but, nevertheless, functioned perfectly.

I have always used the correct end of the spoon but, when I was learning, there's a thing or two I've done with some other testing that is too embarrassing to mention.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I have done at least 50 tests with my most recent container, and it is not even half way down yet.
    Mine would still be about full if i wasn't such a bonehead.
    Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG

7. Back To Top    #7

quote="duraleigh"]The TF-100 contains 10 grams of powder.

Sorry duraleigh.Just read my post and see I was saying 3g.Now that I see the scoop there's no doubt there's plenty for a long time.

8. Back To Top    #8

My initial supply lasted 3 months, but I have both a pool and separate spa, plus I test way more often than anybody would think necessary. For any sane person it should last a year; for somebody able to decipher an OTO test, it should last a lot longer.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree PauR. The kit is fantastic and there is a good supply of everything.Hope my post wasn't taken the wrong way-especially the first part of it.I was poking fun at myself for being such a bonehead.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Hope my post wasn't taken the wrong way-
    Absolutely not....not by me, anyway.

I will reluctantly admit to one of my testing experiences. For the first week, (disregarding the instructions) I looked sideways thru the CYA view tube and couldn't figure out why the dot wouldn't disappear. If I remember, I thought the mixture would dissolve the dot.

That's the last one to which I will admit!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Absolutely not....not by me, anyway.
    Thanks Dave.