New 12' Intex- I've read so many posts, I think I'm more confused.

Jun 2, 2016
New Bern, NC
Hello!

As my title says, I've read a lot of posts. I've read through Pool School, and looked at the Pool Math Calculator, and googled more than my browser could handle. I still just don't know understand what to do. My roommate and I bought the Intex Easy Set 12' x 36". The pool will be for 2-3 adults, no children. We would like to keep it as natural as possible, (combined with as easy and cheap). It is set up and full of water now, but we have not even turned the filter on yet (and it's been raining so we haven't been in it yet either). I know I need a test kit, but really still don't understand the chemicals I need to buy, when and how much to add. This might be a dumb question, but can't I just get a floating dispenser and let that do all of the work?

I've never had a pool and I'm trying really hard to read and learn, but I've always been more of a "this is what you need to do" or a visual learner.

Is anyone willing to help me?

Thank you!

Welcome! :wave:

That pool is only a little more than 2000 gallons. As such, it falls into the Temorary Pool category because draining and refilling in the event of a chemical catastrophe is faster and cheaper than dealing with it. :D

See: Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

You will need a cheap test kit that measures pH and FC. If you can spare an extra couple bucks, you can get one that also tests total alkalinity.

Anyway.... Set up, circulating, nothing's been added. You want to test the pH and get that between 7.2 and 7.8 to prevent skin and eye irritation. Can't say whether that means acid or Borax or nothing at all without testing.

Second, with no CYA in the water, FC should be 1-3. Target 3. A whopping wallet-breaking 1¼ cups of standard 8.25% laundry bleach will take it from zero to 3.

For the CYA, no point buying a big canister. A couple 8 oz trichlor pucks will add about 30 CYA to the pool. Put them in a floater (doesn't have to be a rubber ducky one) and go ahead and get in. Some pool stores sell them singly, or you can beg a couple from a neighbor or flag down a pool service truck. Don't buy a big huge bucket full. That'll cost more than the pool!

Keep the FC around 3 until the pucks dissolve all the way. They may just keep it up there for you as they melt. After that, check it with your tester and pour in a little bleach to get it to 4 or 5 every day. What you're trying to do is add just enough to keep FC above 3 until the next time you add. I guesstimate maybe a measuring cup of bleach daily. So a gallon of bleach should be good for a couple weeks.

Hi there, I started out with a 12' x 36" pool just like yours. I found this forum a few years back and the amount of information here is phenomenal to say the least, but there is so much to read and learn it does take a while to absorb it all.
Here is a link to the seasonal pool guide here, it basicallly covers what you need to do and know, to start to get your feet wet.

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

A simple test kit some CYA and bleach should about do it.

Thank you both so much. I'm off to the store to buy the few supplies I need and will definitely keep reading the forum posts to continue my pool maintenance education. I had read the Guide for Seasonal/Temp Pools a times, but was still not understanding. It really helped having you explain it further for me and now understand that the CYA goes in the floater. I assure you, I'm smart when it comes to my job and at least I now know I'm not missing out on becoming a millionaire by being a pool(wo)man!

Thank you again :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.