How long can SLAMs run?

Ronald U.

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Greetings. I have been slamming for 9 days. Have SLAMmed in past, never more than 3 days. Began this time with wall green algae bloom, mostly in places I know to have poor circulation. (I have noted that taking sample from these spots can show FC 3 points less than a spot near return jets.) Water looks good, but I am unable to get to CC</=0.5 and OCLT passed. This AM (dawn) had: FC 15.0 (16.0 last night), CC 1.5, TA 70, CH 300, CYA 40, Borate 40. Three days ago I tossed in 1 gallon 31% muriatic acid just because a week had passed and I usually have to add acid weekly when things are in non-SLAM mode. I guess I'm just getting bored. / BTW, I'm thinking of changing out my jets to try to boost circulation. Any detailed tips? Thanks all.

Well Ronald, if you've been through this SLAM process before, you know that it can be a little finicky. Even though your previous SLAMs were short, often times they go at least a week, and some really green (thick) pools take 2 weeks or more. So patience and a cold drink will serve you well. :cheers:

Probably a variety of return jet options for you depending upon the style that you currently have. Some retrofits on-line, while some people grab some fittings from the store and make it a DIY project. You're welcome to post a pic of your jets. Maybe someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Slamming a foreclosure right now that started very greenish brown on 5-30. Just now able to see into the deep end :) Like the others have said it can take time and lots of patience.

What does your pool water look like?

Wooops - just saw your water is clear! Sounds like your getting close :)

This am still cannot call SLAM done. OCLT is 1.0 but CC 1.5. What is confusing to me is that the water has been clear right from the start. I began SLAM due to 6 or so palm size patches green algae growing on walls. / CYA has fallen from 40 5-29-16 to a bit below 30 6-6-16. We've had several inches of rain in that period and I don't drain excess water.

I had some algae patches last summer with clear water and CC 0 every time I tested. Sounds like you are staying ahead of the algae and keeping the pool clear. Keep SLAMing and brushing as much as you can, you'll get it.

Day 15 SLAM. OCLT 1.5, CC 1.0 this am. Perhaps I'm close. Haven't seen any algae since second day of SLAM. I never knew SLAMs take so long with pool water looking so good. I had the conception that only green swamps took many weeks to SLAM. Live and learn. Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to fill in water details: pH unknown as I hear reading not accurate with high FC; TA 60, CH 250, CYA 30, Borate 40. I have trichlor pucks in feeder now to raise CYA towards 40. Should I dump in some acid just because pool usually needs it weekly, or leave things be?

Still at it, and it seems I am losing ground. OCLT 2.5, CC 2.0 this am. CYA has upped to approx. 35 with trichlor pucks. (I take out pucks at night for OCLT purposes). I dumped in another 1/2 gallon 31% MA this am along with 1/2 gallon 8.25% bleach. I am lazy and have not been brushing walls every day. There has been NO visible algae since Day 2 of SLAM. Another thing I haven't done: guess I will try pulling out pool light (I am scared of electricity) and cleaning niche this evening.

The light niche shouldn't be too terribly difficult, but do remember to shut-off power first. The niche is filled with water to keep the bulb cool, so you don't want it to come-on after you pull it. Since you have elected to leave the pucks in the chlorinator, and your CYA has risen to 35, I would increase the FC to "16" which correlates to a CYA of 40. Always best to round-up CYA results when it gets to mid-way between numbers. Of course the brushing and other items on the SLAA page are of equal importance, and the more consistent you are with those task the quicker the SLAM will go. Have a nice weekend.

SLAM Day 20.
This am: no OCLT run.
FC 13.0
CC 2.5
TA 50
CH 275
CYA 35
Something keeps creating high CC. I don't know where to aim next. I don't see algae, not since Day 2, and the water is clear. Should I clean the DE filters? Pressure is within 25% of initial, though it has been 6 mos since last cleaning. I feel frustrated and puzzled.

I agree with everyone above, especially brushing and keeping at it, and I also wonder about sources. I've read some off-the-wall things here and on other forums, so I'll just mention what comes to mind.

Not suggesting you have any of these situations, but some I've heard are: water runoff from a garden (sprinklers that ran at night); fertilizer from a lawn; algae hiding in a ladder frame, under a diving board, growing behind a skimmer weir, growing inside wedding cake steps, dirty pool toys, rock waterfall hiding algae; recycled water from sprinklers; bat poo; ducks using the pool; someone else fertilizing gardens nearby with seaweed fertilizer; rain driving dirt in from a patio; dogs in and out; leaves and other stuff not removed from pool, skimmers, pump baskets; algae in unpainted solar pipes; unused unpainted plumbing circuits.

Seems to me there's a possibility of an unidentified contaminate source when the water is clear and continued OCLT fails and high CC.

Just the other day someone mentioned a dead critter in a filter?!? I'm pretty sure that one had to be a joke!

Good luck and keep at it

Day 21 SLAM. No algae since Day 2. Water quality has been clear all along.
7:30 am results:
OCLT 1.0
FC 15.0
CC 1.5
TA 50
CH 275
CYA 35
Someone talk me out of it. I'm considering abandoning the SLAM. Then wait and see if I get an algae bloom while maintaining TFP water specs. Help!

Have you broken down and cleaned your DE filter inside and out? Last year I SLAMed my pool and it was a success, but after about 3 weeks I have a slight algae bloom and did a re SLAM but it would not clear. I broke down the DE filter and all the material was super green! I had to let the filter soak over night In cleaning chemicals to get it back to whitish color. That would be the next thing I would look into

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.