Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bottom Drain or Not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bottom Drain or Not?

Evening,

New to the board look forward to both contributing and learning.

I have a new pool that is almost complete for some reason I was talked out of a bottom drain by
    the installer is this a good thing or bad, they still have not poured the decking around the pool so I
    guess if need be I could have them do it right if needed. The pool has 2 skimmer and 2 side wall intakes
    plumbed with 2" to the pump and 4 - 1 1/2 " returns is this really enought? See my sig below for
    the rest of the pool description and whether you might think I was misled.

Any input is greatly appriciated...

Thanks
    28K gal, free form vinyl, Pentair Intellitouch i9s + 3 automation, IntelliFlo® VF High Performance Pump, Tagelus®, TA 100D w/ 600lbs ECOsmarte Glass pack media, ECOsmarte Turbo w/ CO² pH Control, AquaPro 1100e 109k Heat Pump, IntelliBright pool & Spa LED Lighting.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bottom Drain or Not?

What was his argument?

Does the pool have a deepend?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

A bottom drain is nice, but is not essential. They tend to leak eventually and there isn't any way to fix them, so they need to be sealed up when they leak. Because of that, some builders don't like to install them, especially in a vinyl liner pool.

Your pool will be fine. I make do with one skimmer and one return and nothing else without any significant problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

yes 8'
    28K gal, free form vinyl, Pentair Intellitouch i9s + 3 automation, IntelliFlo® VF High Performance Pump, Tagelus®, TA 100D w/ 600lbs ECOsmarte Glass pack media, ECOsmarte Turbo w/ CO² pH Control, AquaPro 1100e 109k Heat Pump, IntelliBright pool & Spa LED Lighting.

5. Back To Top    #5

From posts I've read, if there is a lack of circulation in the deep end (no bottom drain) it can be hard to clear up an algae bloom, just takes a little longer, tis all. But if you are diligent and stay on top of your chems to prevent one, you should be fine. Just make sure the returns are pointed down by the deepend to aid in circulation.

I've got a bottom drain in my AG vinyl pool, going on 8 years. Love it because I don't have to vacume as much. Essential, absolutely not. If I were in your situation and it's almost complete, I wouldn't modify it now.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry frustratedpoolmom

missed the first part of you question.

He stated that he was going to (I have yet to see thought) "specialized jets in the returns"
    that would churn the water enough for the heat from above to mix with the water below.
    I guess in theroy this could work but the heat was only one concern what about keeping
    the pool clean doesn't the bottom drain assist with this exspecialy if you use a presure side
    cleaner which they included a Pentair Legend® II this builder is an ECO / Green guy as you can tell.

Thanks to all so far for the quick responses.