Glass Filter Media - Vitroclean, Filterglass, etc..

Oct 14, 2015
McKinney, TX
Hello,

I need to change my filter media and am considering going to crushed glass media. I have read about Vitroclean and Filterglass, and am interested in these as we do a lot of night swimming, and they publish filtration down to 5 microns. The only thing that keeps me from jumping in with both feet is cost....it's much more expensive than sand....around $50 for a 50lb bag.

Does anyone have any experience with this media that they could share? I read--for the most part--great things online but wanted to reach out. I have a Pentair TR140, so it will take a lot - over 500lbs of the stuff. Any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks,
DH

First a side note-500 lbs sounds like a LOT for 14500 gal. what am i missing?

Secondly, i just changed to Dr. Dryden activated glass. a 300lb sand filter uses 250 lb of the glass, in two different sizes. I can vouch for it's effectiveness. my pool was cloudy, cleared up overnight after changing to glass media. it typically took me a week or more to clear up after opening.

I am not familiar with the brands you mentioned, but i would definitely shop around. I was talking to a guy who runs a pool store (sacrilege!) who was going to obtain some generic glass, not Dr. Dryden, and sell it for around $20 for 50 lb. [Dr. Dryden comes in 25-lb bags].

Should not have to replace the glass media-ever. Of course, this site has a deep cleaning procedure for sand that should avoid the need to replace it too. would that i had found it years ago.

Hi pookiesunshine, thx for the info. You're not missing anything. The system was in the house when I bought it. My neighbor has a very similar setup, and was an original buyer along with the guy that had my house at the time. He told me they bought both pools at the same time and the builder purposely overbuilt the systems. It's a mature neighborhood - lots of trees, lots of debris in the pool. The sand was put in in 2009, and has never been changed, but it's time. The thing is a beast, see attached label :) Thanks again for the feedback and I'll check out Dr. Dryden.

IMG_1299.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys, I want to change the media because I want clearer water, particularly at night. The filter is performing fine, I just noticed that my water is not near as clear at night with the lights on as other pools with DE filters that I've seen. Think I'll try Richard's idea before going to all the trouble.

Would still appreciate feedback from anyone that has used the glass media before, however.

Before blaming the filter it is good to confirm you are not dealing with a chemistry problem, the vast majority of the people that come here thinking they have filtration issues turn out to really have chemistry issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.