Bleaching new 22x52 pool

May 31, 2016
JAX Fl
I have just finished setting up my intex 22'x52" 10,500gallon pool. Its still has a few days left to fill but im wondering about how to treat it when its full. I purchased the SWG with it and im going to pick up the recommended amount of salt for the pool. I know the salt needs to dissolve and that the SWG is slow to produce the base FC.

I ordered a TF-100 test kit but that wont be here for another week. So im planning on adding bleach to the pool when its full and then CYA and then the 260lbs of salt. From what I can figure from pool math I should add about 80oz of bleach and 100oz powdered CYA. How far off are my numbers?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
I ordered a TF-100 test kit but that wont be here for another week.
TFTestkits takes great pains to make sure every order goes out the same day it is ordered. It is two days UPS delivery to Jacksonville, FL.....are you sure about that "next week?

Once the water is circulating, you want to get FC to 3. That's target for no CYA. That's a little over a quart of bleach.

You did poolmath right -- 100 oz of CYA granules is the right dose to get up to 70 CYA. You can mess around with the sock and get that in the water.

Beyond that, you're stalled without a test kit. You need to test to adjust pH and TA as needed (Pool Store tests are not a sufficient substitute!) and also test and adjust FC every day, with the FC target rising as the CYA dissolves. You can estimate the CYA level by how much is left in the sock. Just remember yours is a bleach pool initially so use that FC target. But remember, without a test kit, you don't know where you are on FC so you can't figure out how much more bleach you need to add!

You might be wisest to only add half the CYA now and just add the 3 FC every day until you can test!

Once everything is balanced and swimmable, then you add salt and let that dissolve. Lastly you turn on the SWG. With a test kit, two days after full. Without a test kit, who knows? If it goes green on you, it could take weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.