Opening a swampie pool. I read Pool School...

May 31, 2016
ozark, al
I went to work on my pool last week and realized that my cartridge filter pump was bad. Just got the new one in today and I'm ready to get started. I just need some help. I read pool school and sparkling oasis but there isn't a ton of info (that I could find) about how those treatment plans affect SWGs and if they should be running during SLAMs. My SWG has a pretty nasty algae bloom inside of it :S. I'm pretty new to all this and just winged it last year. Any advice (or step-by-step instructions) would be so appreciated! Also, somehow all my test strips bleached out so I've got to get new ones but we're starting from zero maintenance all winter.

Welcome!

I wouldn't bother with guess strips, they are near worthless. There is a link in my sig for TFTestKits. Order one of those or a Taylor 2006C today, then we can get going.

SWG are turned off for SLAMs.

How's the water look now? e: It's in the title. Swampy. Add a half bottle of bleach every day until you get your test kit.

Test strips are (nearly) useless, a proper test kit will have you testing all the things that are important to keep your pool TFP sparkly.

Clorox, Great Value bleach or 10% Chlorinating Liquid from Wal-Mart, yep!

The active ingredient in beach = Sodium Hypochlorite = Liquid chlorine.

The only variables are strength, price, and volume. Regular Clorox is between 3-6%, Concentrated Clorox is 8.25%. Both can be found in 121 oz. "gallon" jugs. "Liquid chlorine" typically ranges in strength between 10% and 12.5% (as stated on the bottle), but can be found in true 128 oz. gallon jugs or larger.

To save on cost, you don't always have to use name brand. You can use generic, just not anything with additives (i.e. scented or spashless). Regarding price, there is a thread discussing where one can find current year deals. there is also a link that will break down cost per active oz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.