Into the Deep End - New old pool and already behind replacing equipment!

jm1

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2016
Burlingame CA
I've found the tutorials on variable speed pumps (I like, but the voltage spike issues worry me), and the information on filter types, sizing pumps & filters, and many other tutorials and threads that make me feel like I left the dark. Is there a sticky thread, or other area that compares "quality" of equipment? Two local companies have bid replacing my system, proposing a Waterway filter (and 2 different sized pumps), but I can't find much information on Waterway. I get the feeling filters quality doesn't vary that much, at least for me, as my equipment is inside a shed so weather is not an issue, but the lack of information bothers me. So the second question is, any experiences with Waterway filters out there? (325 or 425 sq.ft)

Given costs, and what I'm seeing -- <150 sq.ft. cartridge on a 20K + gallon pool, I'm going to replace the filter ASAP, and then figure out pump (motor or whole thing; 2 speed or variable) later in the summer, unless I get shouted down here :eek:. I may try the DIY route for economy sake, but I think the bigger decision is getting the filter choice right.

I live in Marin, and since owning my house, I have been dealing with an old 1hp Pump that would cost $$$ to run, so when recently I purchased Pool Solar I went ahead and replaced the pump with a new VS pump. It has been 3 weeks since the install, and besides swimming in 85 degree water, the VS pump has been awesome. I like how I can have the speed automated to adjust when the solar kicks on or just when it is filtering. The noise is almost non-existent when compared to my old pump and the watts used are significantly lower than the single speed. I am running between 300 and 900 watts vs the 2100 watts i used to run. I just received my Electric Bill and it actually showed some savings. As you know, CA electric rates are tiered and can reach $0.28 – $0.29per kWh, so running the VS versus my single pump = more savings.

Extreme 21 - Thanks for the pump thoughts. I am tempted by the variable, but I need to check into the voltage spike issue before committing to variable vs. 2 speed--I have some concernts I have spikes in the house. Plus I have to figure out everything from pipe diameter (and other head issues) before I go to the pump calculations. Given I have a spa attached, I see great value in the variable/multi-speed.

The voltage-spike issue evaluation will start with the dimming I get a few of the big consumers in the house--on demand hot water and garbage disposal in sink. I would rather not fry a pump controller shortly after install, and unless I figure out something else, I will consult with an electrician on the whole house for that. I also know the prior owner had electric "power cleaners" for his high end stereo equipment. It could be ego, or just excessive care, but I don't want to ignore some simple signs on electric spike risk. My snarky comment: only 29 cents an hour? ;-) we tier up to $0.315 in San Mateo County, and while I haven't seen anything on this house, our prior house we hit that in the winter months.

Still wondering if anyone out there has/had a Waterway filter in the 325 sq ft range, and for general thoughts on quality differences (if any) between brands of cartridge filters.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.